Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Had this bizarre idea about a set of articles for here - based around your "gaming DNA"

We keep seeing these developer / games industry beardy interviews about what coaxed people into gaming, how they got there, what they used to play as kids, and what they play now - I thought it'd be great to hear what AATGers could say on the subject.

So kicking off...

1) Your first gaming experience(s)
2) Influential games you've played
3) How long you've been playing for?
4) What you spend most of your current time playing

Gooooo AATGers
#1 at 14:12:18 - 29/11/2011
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Nice idea, peej

1) Difficult to identify my first gaming experiences, but my early recollections centre around playing Harrier Attack on my cousin's Amstrad or Barbarian on my friends BBC Micro (on a yellow/brown screen). That said, Gaming didn't really arrive for me until I played The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga.

2) Probably the most influencial games I've ever played have been Gran Turismo (developed my love of racers) and most recently Fallout 3 which made me realise that I could love RPGs - a genre I'd previously avoided.

3) I got my first games machine at home - a second-hand Atari ST when I was about 11 or 12, so really for the 20 ish years since. Strangely I didn't play very much during my late teens (when I had the most free time), only re-discovering my passion for gaming in the last 10 or so years.

4) Having 2 young children means that my gaming-at-home time is extremely limited, so the bulk of my gaming time is on PSP or DS. Most recently I have been mopping up some of the missed gems within the PSPs back catalogue or further exploring the JRPG genre - enjoying the likes of Chrono Trigger, Jeanne d'Arc and currently Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

A special mention also needs to go to Borderlands - a game I have continued to regularly play for more than 2 years since it's release - having completed the game and almost all of the DLC both in single-player and in 4 player co-op.

Edit: How could I forget about Elite!? And Doom?!?
#2 at 16:57:52 - 29/11/2011
LarryBong
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
1) first home gaming experience was the Binatone Pong TV thing from the late 1970s. Earliest gaming experience would have been arcade machines in the local arcade and working men's club (space invaders, asteroids, battlezone, etc.)

2) Way too many to mention but ones that come immediately to mind are: Star Wars (Arcade cabinet), Street fighter 2, Mario Kart, Zelda LTTP and OOT, Super Mario World, Gauntlet (arcade version), Goldeneye N64, Deus Ex, Lords of Midnight, The Hobbit, GTA3, Mario 64, Half-Life 1 & 2 and lots I have forgotten...

3) Pretty much since video games have existed (late 1970s - present)

4) Mainly stuff on the 360 currently Dark Souls, Driver SF, Batman AC. Also 3DS for daily commute - Zelda OOT 3D, GR Shadow wars and Dead or Alive Dimensions
#3 at 17:46:37 - 29/11/2011
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
1)The ZX Spectrum with Pacman, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and Pole Position

2) Most of them really... Diablo, C&C and Blizzard *crafts, HL, FF VII, GTA3, Wolfenstein 3D, Mario and Sonic, WoW, Lucas Arts adventure P&C, Tomb Raider, X-Com... Too many write here...

3) I would say for about 25 years or so...

4) On the PS3, the laptop has become a Sims 3 gaming machine for the wife, and some Xbox 360, but mainly PS3... :(
#4 at 18:33:10 - 29/11/2011
Orpheus
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:1(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
Bronze Medal

Sinclair ZX-81, though I honestly can't remember what I played. First game I remember is Elite on my mate's Amiga 500. I had one not long after and was hooked for life.

Elite/Elite 2, though I sucked at them, made me love space games and sci-fi. I went from there to Wing Commander to X-Wing Alliance and never looked back.

Morrowind was my first 'open world' and I spent hundreds of hours there and in Cyrodiil. Skyrim has me enraptured, needless to say.

GTAIV was the moment when games became more than just games for me. The satire shone through the somewhat clunky game mechanics and elevated it to an art form. Scaring the blogger was an all time gaming high, and unraveling Niko was a journey like no other.

20+ years or so.

Skyrim. No other series has hit the spot in the way the TES games have, and it's been a long wait since Oblivion. Given that it'll be another six or seven years before we see the next one, I'm taking my time and savouring every second.
#5 at 20:11:10 - 29/11/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
1) C64. I must have been about seven (1989-ish) when we got one (my Dad won it in a raffle at work) as the C.R.E.A.T.U.R.E.S. Diary of a Game feature was running in Zzap!64. Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, Retrograde, Creatures, Summer Games and Winter Games, just a few of the titles I remember playing the most. My Uncle had owned a C64 for a few years beforehand, so I had a nice supply of games to go through, as well as back issues of Zzap!. Still the greatest machine ever, in my mind.

2) SWOS, FFIX, Halo, Deus Ex, Super Turbo, Lumines, Bubble Bobble, Fantasy World Dizzy, Ocarina of Time, MSR, Virtua Tennis, Devil May Cry, Cannon Fodder, Turrican II, Fate/Stay Night, Super Monkey Ball, NFL Quarterback Club '98, Wave Race 64, ISS Pro Evolution, Panzer Dragoon, Desert Strike, Code: Veronica, Super Mario Land, NiGHTS, Shenmue, Burnout, MvC2. All games that either got me into a genre, a machine, took away my time continually for years, or standout to me for some unique reason.

3) 22 years or so.

4) RIGHT NOW it's Skyrim, but being less specific it's fighting games. For one reason or another I don't play them so much over the Winter, so I am playing a few of the recent big releases, but generally speaking fighters take up 95% of my gaming, and have done for the last three years or so since I really got into my local scene for offline multiplayer Street Fighter/Blazblue/etc. I still buy a lot of RPGs or some quirkier Japanese titles (Catherine, iM@S2, Visual/Sound Novels), but don't get so much time to actually play them.
#6 at 20:30:40 - 29/11/2011
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Great idea, peej!

1) I do remember from early times at school the ZX81 and the Commodore PET; the only game I remember was Nightmare Park on the PET.

The C64 was the key formative platform, the first I owned. Uridium was one of the first games that obsessed me, but above all, Elite.

2) In roughly chronological order, or at least clustered: Uridium, Elite, Defender of the Crown, The Last Ninja, Pirates, Ghosts n Goblins, MGS, Silent Hill, RE2, Tenchu, FF7, Deus Ex, FFx, Morrowind, Ninja Gaiden, Oblivion, Hitman (various iterations), Demon's Souls, Chromehounds, Dark Souls, Skyrim.

Elite, Deus Ex and Morrowind remain the key three for me - games that totally immersed me and gave me a very clear sense of what I love about games.

Chromehounds is there for the online bonding with most of you c*nts /smiley/ - I'm not often drawn to online for practical reasons, but this was a wonderful balance of being in the garage, tinkering, and Sil going "I'll set one off, then"

3) It's obvious from the above that, for one reason or another, I have a massive gap in my gaming between the C64 and the PS1. That's why I know almost fuck all about Nintendo / Sega etc. Let's say roughly 81-89 then 98 - 2011.

4) Skyrim. Pretty much exactly as Orpheus put it. We all know it's got glitches, not perfect etc but I get actively annoyed at picky bastards who don't appreciate the scale of the achievement in immersive gaming here. Amazing.
#7 at 22:35:49 - 29/11/2011
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1) First proper games I can remember playing are Blobbo, Lemmings, Prince of Persia, Oxyd and Brickles Plus

2) Not sure what qualifies as influential, but these have influenced me personally:
- Prince of Persia
- SimCity 2000 (awakened my interested in economics, and all sorts of building/managing games)
- Sims
- Zelda OoT
- Demon's Souls (dark games can be good, who knew!)
- LittleBigPlanet (only medium where I can express my creativity in and it got me a job. Can't get much more influential than that)
- Plus many of those mentioned by other above.

3) 18 years. Started on a Macintosh.

4) The LBP series.
#8 at 23:16:19 - 29/11/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
FlexibleFeline said: Uridium

How did I forget to mention this, Paradroid, and Alleykat. D:
#9 at 03:12:16 - 30/11/2011
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Echo the thoughts of others. Cracking idea.

From what I remember it was the Amstrad CPC 464 that my dad brought home one evening. I honestly don't remember how old I was but I remember not being allowed to look inside the box until I could read the word "c.o.m.p.u.t.e.r" on the side of the box! I'm guessing it was around 85-86, so I'd have have been 4 or 5 :D

The game that I remember the most on that was Harrier Attack. Hours and hours on that (and it only took 6 mins to load!)

The other computer I had access to was a BBC Micro. Chucky Egg and Grannies Garden being brilliant examples of how versatile gaming was at that early stage.

Depends what you mean by influential - I guess what games influenced my habit? In which case it started with Harrier Attack and Ghostbusters and Batman on the Amstrad. After that stuff like Alex Kidd in Miracle world and Castle of Illusion on the Master System got me loving gaming.

Then I discovered a world beyond the master system. A friend had a Mega Drive, showing off how Castle of Illusion could look in 16 bits! Amazing. As for Sonic... that wagging finger, that tapping foot... Superb.

Just as I thought SEGA would own my soul forever, another friend showed me an imported Super Famicom and... Super Mario World. That game changed the landscape forever... as did the other console from Nintendo I played around that time, the GameBoy.

Since the Amstrad, so 25 yearsish. I've not stopped playing. From the Amstrad to MasterSystem, Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy(s) Saturn, DreamCast, GameCube, Xbox, wii, 360.

This year I've wavered a lot. Thinking I was out of love with it, time has been short now that I have a nipper but the last few months have brought me back.

At the moment, almost exclusively Zelda Skyward Sword. Before that, BF3 and Batman. Both brilliant, but Zelda sums up the real reason I love gaming. Imaginative, familiar yet fresh, colourful and above all, FUN.

(additional edit: All of that and I failed to mention the years and years of Amiga and then PC gaming. PC gaming for me was all about the multiplayer. TFC, BF2, Planetside showing me a glimpse of gaming future).
#10 at 10:54:56 - 30/11/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
1) First game I ever saw was a clone or port of Pacman on the C= VIC-20.

2) Quest (VIC-20) : An army building RPG. You roamed the land picking up followers, battling men and monsters, and searching dungeons for loot. The goal of the game was to reach a citadel and capture it. First open world game I ever played, and pretty free form, pretty cool for a game written in BASIC

Goldrush (VIC-20) : Another BASIC game that displayed everything using a character set. Think Miner Dig Deep (XBLA) and you're pretty much there. It even had cave-ins.

Rockman (VIC-20) : Before Boulderdash or Repton I had already experienced tumbling 2D rocks. Rockman was 2D maze divided into indiviudal screens. Each with a number of gems to collect before an entrance would open. Part action and part puzzler, you were were just as likely to meet your demise below a boulder that you dislodged than from an enemy.

Gridrunner/Hellgate (VIC-20) : Jeff Minter, 'nuff said.

Mercenary (C64) : Open world, spacecraft, 3D!

Elite (C64) : See above

Day Of the Tentacle (PC) : First P'n'C adventure that I played to completion. A shining example of the genre, something all adventure game creators shouls aspire to. Love it.

The Dig/Full Throttle/Grim Fandango (PC) : Showed me that a game could be set anywhere and be about any subject. It could be cinematic or epic without compromising the puzzles.

Many Many More

3) Since the mid/early-80s

4) Anything sandboxy or open world, stuff that derives complexity from simple rules. The odd shooter. Anything that allows me to resolve a situation through more than just bullet/pointy thing to the face.
-Minecraft
-Terraria
-Elder Scrolls
-Fallout 3/NV
-GTA Franchise
-ArmA II
-Flight Sims
#11 at 11:28:13 - 30/11/2011
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
1) Playing on my older brother's Amstrad CPC 464 - games like Harvey Headbanger, Barbarian, and Robocop as well as perhaps more age appropriate stuff like Mr Men.

2) Super Mario Allstars along with Zelda: Link to the Past on the SNES are probably the games that kept me into games at an age where I could have moved onto other interests. Also Sensible Soccer for being the first game I played socially with friends. And finally the Football Manager/Championship Manager series for keeping me company on the PC when I really should be working/learning.

3) I would have been about 4-5 when playing on the Amstrad and have kept gaming ever since, so blimey, over 20 years.

4) Most of my current time would be games that can be played in short periods and don't take an age to complete so plenty of FIFA and less time intensive single player stuff, most recently Driver SF. I do still have Football Manager ticking away in the background on a near daily basis too :)
#12 at 11:31:26 - 30/11/2011
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1) Like many others of my age *cough* (forty) *cough*, a Pong derivative on the family television. Then, the early 'invader' games in the local arcade and finally, on 25/12/83 a ZX Spectrum 48k and Manic Miner.

2) On the Speccy, the Miner Willy games were all fantastic, as were the Ultimate 'isometric' titles. I distictly remember getting as much fun from mapping the games on paper as actually playing them. I also remember playing Games Workshop's Chaos with seven friends, sitting on the floor passing the Spectrum between us; my first experience of multiplayer.

Our local swimming club had a cocktail table Phoenix and that's still a favourite of mine (and a great reason to fire up MAME every now and again); at university I got quite into Air Buster for a term, fighting some bloke called J.O.E. for the top of the high score table.

Had a bit of a break from gaming during the mid to late 80s, but when I got my first PC (33MHz 386SX) in 1992 I played a few adventure games such as Alone In The dark, Monkey Island 2 and DOTT. Never bothered with any of the classic 8bit consoles but was so impressed by Wipeout 2097 that I bought a PlayStation, a TV and a licence in order to play it; I've barely touched PC gaming since.

3) Since the late 70s.

4) I'm not really a fan of FPS games and of late, have gotten rather bored with racing games (previously a favourite genre). These days I enjoy fairly short games, typically third person adventures such as Assassin's Creed and Batman: Arkham Asylum/City. Am really, really looking forward to Bioshock Infinite.
#13 at 13:54:34 - 30/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Probably nagging my mum for a go on a "Multi Sports" thing at the Picketts Lock Leisure Centre. I think that was the very first game I ever saw, a ciggie dimped arcade version of those home binatone / grandstand games. First actual game I owned at home was an Invader 1000 hand held. Upgraded to an Acetronic MPU 1000 after that, then the micro revolution kicked off proper with a ZX81 then a 16k Speccy, swiftly upgraded to 48K

Too many to mention. I fell hopelessly in love with Space Invaders to the point that I used to nick off to a local transport cafe to play the table top version with any scrounged 10ps I could nab. Definitely high up on the 'influential' stakes was Defender - still one of the best games I've ever played, so tough but so utterly compelling. Also Manic Miner, a game I still obsess about today.

If you count the Picketts Lock thing that'd probably be around 1975 - so nearly 37 years, sheeeet!

A bit of an ADD gamer really, a bit of everything but have spent an absolute ton of time with Saints Row the Third recently, as well as a heck of a lot of time in Battlefield 3 online. Two of this year's best, definitely.
#14 at 15:06:50 - 30/11/2011
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal

Probably River Raid on the Atari 2600. I remember one Christmas as a kid getting this and playing it to death.

Super Mario Bros. Need I say any more?

Age of Empires II for the memories. Buying 6 ISA network cards off eBay and learning how to network PCs together in order to play multiplayer AOE will live with me forever.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - the beginning of the end for me in terms of how much time getting online and shooting people in the face with my friends would take up.

Project Gotham Racing 2 for showing me a glimpse of the Xbox live future we now take for granted.

For as long as I can remember which means probably since I was about 5/6.

Whichever is the current Call of Duty.
#15 at 15:18:29 - 30/11/2011
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal

Mum and Dad going bowling, my Dad giving me a hand full of 10 pences and getting me a stool to stand on for the arcade machines. Space Invaders and Asteroids. Also Astro Wars and the Atari VCS not long after.

Forbidden Forest, Zork, Zelda, Bioshock and Mario.

Since I was four (!)

The Xbox, Saints Row at the moment. Looking forward to Skyward Sword at Christmas though!
#16 at 15:27:34 - 30/11/2011
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
I think it was Pong at a friends place, but my WOW moment was owning the Atari 800XL (it was a we a getting divorced 'present' from the parents!)

Alternate reality (old!)
Mercenary
Goldeneye
Mario 64
Tomb Raider
Halo
Morrowind
GTA III
Left4Dead
tons of others I cant remember

For almost as long as i can remember

xbox games mostly with a peppering of IOS games too.
at the moment:
puzzle quest 2 (IOS)
Skyrim
Assassins Creed: revelations
multiplayer favorites:
left 4 dead 2, op flashpoint: red something, Dead Island.
#17 at 16:36:29 - 30/11/2011
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal

Same Binatone Pong thing as Larry, including the rifle/pistol shooting gallery gubbins. Closely followed by Dad grabbing a second hand Spectrum 48k, which had loads of full C90 cassettes thrown in. Anyone else remember: The Birds and the Bees, Trans Am, Hunchback, Deathchase 2000 (or 3D Deathchase, it didn't seem able to make it's mind up). Seeing Elite running on a BBC (I think) in the local indie game store and just being mesmerised.

Christ, um... all of them? Particular memories would be: Elite, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy, Leaderboard, Tomb Raider, Goldeneye, Mario Kart (never bettered the original), Tenchu, ... bloody hell, you know... everything, basically.

I don't think we had calendars back when I started.

Things that everyone else tries to convince me are pish. Bit of iphone gaming, lots of 360 gaming. Seem to be starting up the PS3 less and less. I guess I no longer enjoy the controller. Loving Skyrim, anything FPS, and making an effort to clear the backlog. Which could realistically take years. If they ever bring out a Monster Hunter on a decent format again, I may have to take early retirement.
#18 at 17:41:30 - 30/11/2011
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:
FlexibleFeline said: Uridium

How did I forget to mention this, Paradroid, and Alleykat. D:

Paradroid :-D

Lots of other good ones coming up I could / should have mentioned but didn't e.g. Mercenary, Tomb Raider.
#19 at 21:53:16 - 30/11/2011
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1) Your first gaming experience(s) - 1976, a service station on the M1, Pong !
2) Influential games you've played - Lotus Elite, Knightlore (Spectrum), Paradroid (C64), Flashback, Monkey Island 1&2, Stunt Racer and Crammond's Grand Prix (Amiga), X-Wing, Tie-Fighter (PC), KoTOR (xbox), Oblivion (360)
3) How long you've been playing for? Shit, 35 years :O
4) What you spend most of your current time playing - Skyrim.
#20 at 23:25:23 - 30/11/2011
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Lotus Turbo Esprit! Oh, the memories come flooding back!
#21 at 23:37:21 - 30/11/2011
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Not to mention The Hobbit!

Fuck the goblin's dungeon.

"Say to Thorin carry me" indeed.

/sits down and starts singing about gold
#22 at 23:38:39 - 30/11/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1) First gaming experience was almost certainly one of the many "TV game" systems in the mid-late seventies, pretty sure it was at a friend of my Dad's place and they were the first people to have one. They also had the first Atari 2600 I ever played as well. My own first gaming system (well it was the family's) was one of these beauties, notice it has analogue sticks looooooooong before Nintendo supposedly invented them! :-)

2) Elite of course and pretty much anything that was ever big since the 8-bit days really, too many to list. I was a big fan of Battlezone in the arcade.

3) I'm a 1st generation gamer, well over 30 years!

4) Open world games, Elite's influence of freedom is something I still love so I'll plough more time into them than anything else, I just like to explore. My playtime in GTA4 is something like 200 hours+. Saints Row the Third is currently closing in on 40 hours on two platforms.

The occasional MMO will grab my attention too but I think the sameyness of them has got to me and I'm done unless something incredible turns up.

Other than that and it's large scale FPS, Battlefield and other titles that don't box you in, I dread to think how much time I spent playing Operation Flashpoint.

All in all, freedom is what I want from gaming and some developers are willing to give you it or at least the appearance of it.
#23 at 00:19:04 - 01/12/2011
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
repairmanjack said:Lotus Turbo Esprit! Oh, the memories come flooding back!

Oh yeah, Esprit, not Elite. I remember going to Harpers Photography in Woking (they sold Speccy games) several weeks running waiting for that game. Loved it at the time, but it was doubtless awful ! I can still remember the music too...
#24 at 01:38:34 - 01/12/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's still a good game, which is why I chose it as my Retro Game of the Week on Eurogamer a couple of years ago.

I now have the bloody theme buzzing around me head again!
#25 at 01:46:57 - 01/12/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Definitely think that part of the gaming DNA has to be the way you used to get games.

We had a John Menzies (remember them?) in the nearest town that used to have a fairly shite selection of Speccy and C64 stuff, and for ages that was my sole supplier of games. The first few Mastertronic titles were hoovered up whether they were good or not, just because I could actually afford 'em out of my weekly pocket money rather than having to save for them (I think it took me 3 weeks to save up enough dosh for Jet Set Willy, which was a whopping £5.95!)

One of the things that makes me realise what a sad addict I am is the amount of times I've done worse things than smokers do when they run out of ciggies - trailing out to Toys R Us at 5 AM to try and get a Nintendo Wii (why, WHYYYY!), or travelling 60 miles to Evesham Micros to pick up a double-sided disk drive for my Atari ST. Not to mention spending a sizeable amount of constructive time talking about games on website forums :)

#26 at 09:22:06 - 01/12/2011
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I guess one thing I miss is the excitement of Christmas morning, hoping that one of the boxes under the tree is going to be Doom II. Or using any Christmas or Birthday money and heading into Reading to buy BASS from Boots (did they ever really sell games!?), or latterly The Dig from WHS or Wing Commander III from Virgin Megastores.

Now I simply input my password into whatever website and said game turns up a few days later, where I simply add it to the pile of unopened, unplayed games...

For me it's been interesting to see how many games come up again, and again: Elite, Deus Ex, the LucasArts point 'n' clickers. So may people influenced by just an handful of truly classic games.
#27 at 11:14:40 - 01/12/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup that's definitely something that's changed and evolved in the years i've been gaming. When I was a kid, every game was wrung out to dry and played to death for hour after hour, day after day, week after week. Sure - when you're a kid you've got more time for all that stuff anyway, but it also came from not having a lot of money to spend on games so wanting to get my money's worth out of 'em.

(Cough) C60s full of games exchanged in the playground notwithstanding :)

Sometimes that whole process, trying to 'tape to tape' games and get them working - was actually more exciting and nailbiting than the games themselves.

One other bit of gaming DNA info that's missing - Computer fairs. Oh my, I remember the first time I went to one of the big C64 expos at Earls Court - seeing that vast space taken up by various stalls and vendors, flogging games, demoing stuff - real amazing stuff back before the internet took over, and marketing was the focus of the industry. I think I've still got a mangy old T shirt from one of the C64 Christmas Expos somewhere.

I bought Racing Destruction Set at one, it was the only time I'd ever seen the game on disk and after Zzap's rave review of it, I had to have it - and it was fantastic but such a massive time sink (remember how long the game used to take to test a track once you'd built it?!)
#28 at 11:58:50 - 01/12/2011
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
When you say "computer fair" it conjures up being 17-24 and visiting the places that were set up at the local leisure centre every 3rd Sunday of the month. Going there for bits and bobs to build or upgrade my PC.
Good times :D

And don't tell me you all missed out on boot fair's too?
Finding that one pasting table chock full of the plastic flip top boxes containing 100 blue floppy amiga / pc discs in each...

flack flack flack flack flack flack flack as you flick through the *ahem*backup*ahem* discs looking for something you didn't already have, and praying to god that for your £2 it was gonna work this time!

#29 at 12:33:17 - 01/12/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ah I do remember those too, going to a few - mostly for dodgy RAM or stupidly expensive graphics cards :) They probably died a death as soon as things got cheaper online.

Boot Sales seem to have got wise to the worth of stuff. I remember a few years back I spotted a pristine VCS with a bunch of boxed cartridges. No price on any of it but the bugger wanted 200 quid for the lot (and though the cartridges were boxed, the boxes were all bloated with damp or crushed flat. I should imagine very few mint VCS carts in their original boxes exist, probably copies of ET or something!)

#30 at 12:43:26 - 01/12/2011

home
1 2 Right