billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:153(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1) Your first gaming experience(s)

My absolute first experience was a pacman clone called Mini Munchman which was a handheld jobbie by Grandstand. This would have been in 1981 when I was 6. Got horribly addicted to that. It was followed up the next year by a 16k rubber keyboard speccy and then a Grandstand Firefox F7.

2) Influential games you've played

Ooooh, there's many, so I'll cherry pick. Manic Miner- platforming greatness, Kick Off- first footy game where the ball wasn't glued to your foot, Dungeon Master- 1st proper 3D RPG :D, networked Doom at uni, Gran Turismo, and so on.

3) How long you've been playing for?

30 years

4) What you spend most of your current time playing

Football Manager on the iPhone :( Am attempting to get Morecambe to the European Cup Final :D
#31 at 14:43:47 - 01/12/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Football Manager on the iPhone :( Am attempting to get Morecambe to the European Cup Final :D

o/

As I recall you used to live near Christie Park... it's a Sainsbury's now. The Shrimps have gone all posh and got themselves a spanking new stadium. I believe the increased capacity is a pre-requisite for hosting European matches ;)
#32 at 14:53:33 - 01/12/2011
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:153(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
A Sainsbury? I knew they'd moved to a swanky new ground but didn't realise it had been redeveloped like that.

It's stupid really, the football league require clubs entering it to have a capacity higher than almost all the L1 clubs get in actual attendance. It's a real problem for conference sides after promotion.
#33 at 15:06:21 - 01/12/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4685
Thread Kills:454(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It goes without saying that a vast proportion of my gaming DNA, the early stuff at least, comes from arcades. Not as they are now (fruit machine / soft toy grab machines and the occasional busted DDR machine) but as they were in the golden era of the 80s.

Being within coach travel distance of London meant a quick look at Zzap's recommendations for London / Soho arcades (only the arcades mind, honest!) then taking a trek up there to mooch around them armed with a pocket full of change (10ps of course, pound coins didn't exist).

The same thing used to happen on family holidays. Not having a lot of money meant family holidays were always destinations like Weymouth or Suffolk - and rationing your holiday money to spend in an arcade for the evening was tricky when you wanted to play absolutely everything on offer.

Arcade greats like Defender (which I've already mentioned), Scramble, Missile Command, Gaplus, Galaga (esp. Galaga 88), Star Wars (that awesome, truly awesome sit down cabinet with the fantastic controller), big ride on machines like Hang On and OutRun, quirky little-known stuff like Sega's bizarre holographic Time travelling laserdisk game, eyepopping stuff like Dragons Lair and crazy video-driven shooters like Mad Dog McCree and SWAT.

Still have a mooch around seaside arcades if I ever see any but they're just not the same any more, bah.
#34 at 16:15:06 - 01/12/2011
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:18(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I used to love going to the Matlock Bath arcades with my brother when I was a nipper. Two pounds worth of 10p's would seem to last us ages. I remember playing on stuff like Final Fight, The Simpsons, and some seemingly unbeatable football game. But the game that still stands out most would be Point Blank. We absolutely loved that game.

Gradually though they phased out the cheaper units with stuff that chomped 1 a pop so we stopped going. I think they have replaced most of the games with fruit machines now. 'Tis a shame
#35 at 16:58:56 - 01/12/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4685
Thread Kills:454(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Had to go to London (or on holiday) for my arcade fix because Oxford had some weird bylaw preventing anyone setting up a dedicated amusement arcade for anything except fruit machines (weird really!)

There were the odd one or two machines in chippies and pubs (including a Commando cab in our local chippy when I was at college - which actually meant I missed a lot of afternoon classes trying to top the high score table on that bloody thing) but nowhere big or dedicated. Our local Laser Quest had quite a few machines in the late 90s but even that's gone now.
#36 at 17:20:51 - 01/12/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:294(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Reading this thread, it's even more fun than I expected, "the 70s" etc. :D You old people and your mythical decades.

Kudos again, peej, for starting it (not the 70s. Although I suppose you could have been partially responsible).

FlexibleFeline said:
ilmaestro said:
FlexibleFeline said: Uridium

How did I forget to mention this, Paradroid, and Alleykat. D:

Paradroid :-D

Lots of other good ones coming up I could / should have mentioned but didn't e.g. Mercenary, Tomb Raider.

Yeah I keep wanting to put more on the list... the article about that new MotorStorm game reminded me that Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road was probably the first game I had to be stopped from playing too much, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game was the first game that I specifically invited a friend over to play, Bubble Dizzy was the first game I ever "swapped" for, etc.

peej said:We had a John Menzies (remember them?)

Yup, used to go to the one in Walsall. They had a decent enough selection of C64 games from what I remember.

And to also tie that in with...

Flying_Pig said:I guess one thing I miss is the excitement of Christmas morning

I do miss that, but I also miss being able to save up my pocket money to buy a game for 2.99 and such.

Buying "all" the games these days has its own charms, but it is also a little sad to look back on how much more I treasured each individual game.
#37 at 20:42:41 - 01/12/2011

home
Left 1 2