Author Reply
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Quick straw poll following on from a 'water cooler' conversation with a colleague: who here would buy the original trilogy, un-dicked-with and as God intended, on BluRay?

I would, in a heartbeat. I have absolutely no interest in Lucas' sh!tty revisioned versions but I want my HD Star Wars!
#1 at 11:38:38 - 09/12/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Most certainly would. And lets get this straight, we're talking about the original trilogy as released at the cinema. No fucking stupid CGI childishness, no standing on Jabba's tail, no "who shot first".

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Thankfully there are a few nice rips of the laserdisc kicking around, that are nearly HD quality but not quite there.

This is very unlikely to ever happen of course, but one can dream :)
#2 at 11:42:58 - 09/12/2011
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
And lets get this straight, we're talking about the original trilogy as released at the cinema. No fucking stupid CGI childishness, no standing on Jabba's tail, no "who shot first".

Exactly.

peej said:
This is very unlikely to ever happen of course

Dunno; it's another cash cow to milk...
#3 at 11:56:17 - 09/12/2011
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
o/

I would.
#4 at 14:18:33 - 09/12/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I would be very happy to have the theatrical versions on Blu-ray but fear they'll only turn up when Lucas either a)runs out of money (yeah right) or b) dies.

By theatrical versions I also mean that the first movie is also called Star Wars in the title scroll and none of this Episode IV: A New Hope bullshit, that wasn't there in '77.
#5 at 14:44:42 - 09/12/2011
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Completist (mug) that I am, I bought the blurays, but mostly for the archive footage and deleted scenes. Haven't watched any if the films yet !
I have the 'Ultimate Collection' laserdisc iso's burned to DVD, but would definitely be interested in properly treated blurays, not that half-arsed shit he did for the DVD.
#6 at 15:35:46 - 09/12/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The more I read about Star Wars and how it came about, the more Lucas' behaviour seems pretty much in line with how he's always been. Let's face it, outside the Star Wars universe, the only notable thing he's ever done has been Indiana Jones (and he took a sodding wrench to that universe / character as well with the last movie, in conjunction with Spielberg).

If he could get off his porky arse long enough to realise that continuous tinkering with the originals wouldn't net half the amount of serious cash that producing an unsullied HD-ified theatrical release cut would, he'd probably do it. But I think it's gone too far now. I think the bloke's so mental that he'd do the whole thing then sneak Jar Jar fucking Binks into the final scenes of Return of the Jedi for a bit of a hoot.

#7 at 15:58:34 - 09/12/2011
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think he's trying to provoke a geek into killing him. First he made Vader into a pathetic misguided teenager who 'did it all for love' , then he had a Sith apprentice do Vader's Jedi killing job in Force Unleashed. Then he added the "No ! No ! Nooooooo" to Vader's wordless self-sacriice in ROTJ, before finally putting him in a fucking Dixons advert calling some bint "Young one". It's like he killed a loved one, then turned up at the funeral and pissed on his grave.
#8 at 18:13:17 - 09/12/2011
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Lucas has all but killed Star Wars for me. I'll watch them every few years but the more that is released that is related to the franchise the more I'm convinced it was a complete fluke or there were extremely heavy influences from other that he no longer listens to.

I loved it so much that I'm still tempted to get Old Republic despite most videos making it look terrible (unpopulated, your actions affect nothing, there are 100,000 others that are doing the same as you).

Would I buy Star Wars in their original form now? No. I try my hardest to not give any more money to it than I can now. What has been broken can't be undone.
#9 at 21:06:50 - 09/12/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I probably would, but I'm also one of the sane people capable of overlooking the changes and thus already bought the current set. :p
#10 at 01:50:06 - 10/12/2011
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Took Izzy to see Hugo today (lovely film btw) and there was a trailer for Phantom Menace 3D. So the bluray box will get another release in 3D when all the films are done I guess.
#11 at 21:49:49 - 10/12/2011
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There are upscaled and cleaned up versions of the Laserdisc available in greyer corners of the Internet, some guy did a very nice job there. Also, I own the unaltered DVD issue. My thoughts are based on both.

Some of the effects are quite bad after you've seen the later Lucasfilm restoration treatments.

The problem I have now is that I can't unsee the roughness, having been spoiled by all the modernisation work that's been done since.

There is literally no version now that I would like to see released, because I want all the cleanup work but none of the story or scene alterations.

nb. I hope the 3D re-releases bomb hard, for all our sakes.
#12 at 12:11:32 - 12/12/2011
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
After a couple of minutes contemplation, I'm siding with just being happy with the Blu-rays. They are very visually appealing, and it's not like the Star Wars story isn't a total pile of shit anyway.

Just like the Matrix sequels, the prequel trilogy, merely by existing, has completely ruined the whole mythos. They can't be unseen, and the IV-VI trilogy are that much poorer because of it.
#13 at 12:16:19 - 12/12/2011
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Agreed - the whole deconstruction of Vader has undermined the original trilogy. And as for midichlorians....
#14 at 15:57:47 - 12/12/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just finished up watching my Blu-ray boxset after finally relenting and buying it last month.

First time I have watched the films in ages and I have to admit that the prequels aren't nearly as bad as I remembered. I'd say the biggest issue I have with the prequels is how they make everything in 4,5 and 6 seem small scale; the worlds, the space battles, the lightsaber duels (which are pretty sedate affairs compared to the prequels). You'd have thought Lucas would have made more of an effort to make prequels blend seamlessly into original trilogy.

Also the prequels ruined the two big reveals of Empire and make Obi-Wan look like a berk. 'That boy was our last hope' apart from his twin sister whose birth I witnessed and helped place under the protection of Senator Organa!

I still think ROTJ has the two biggest flaws of all the films. Firstly Luke's extremely convoluted rescue of Han from Jabba's palace and the frankly ludicrous battle between the Ewoks and Stormtroopers. When Lucas was fiddling with the original films he should have CGI'd those furry little buggers out of existence ;-)
#15 at 19:59:46 - 17/04/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Really?! You think the problem are the Ewoks?! For me it's clearly the Stormtrooper training program problem....

But yeah, there are some continuity issues from 1-3 to the 4-6 trilogy...

And Vader does come out like a fucktard most of the time in the 1-3 episodes.

I would really like some parts of the 4-6 trilogy to be fixed (yes the ewoks/stormtroopers, and the small scale issues of some battles), I really don't care who shot first...

And the Vader/Anankin/love story, Jar-Jar, and one or two more issues on the 1-3 trilogy resolved...
#16 at 01:54:49 - 21/04/2014

home