On the other hand I hated it and gave up after a few hours :D
#61 at 12:35:01 - 15/10/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I never hated it, but I played it for a few hours (ended up somewhere in Pittsburgh) back in June / July and then put it down for 3 months....though I didn't hate it, it hadn't really grabbed me. I'm not quite sure at what point I changed my mind but suddenly I became totally immersed. I think it may have been the bit in the hotel basement that made me shit me pants. By the time we were in the suburbs level, I was hooked, and by the winter section I was besotted with the damn thing.
#62 at 14:35:11 - 15/10/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:106(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I can't have paid much attention the way everyone wants an Ish storyline and yet I haven't the foggiest idea who that even is
#63 at 10:42:55 - 15/11/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Interesting to read the comments above since I came here to ask exactly when TLoU stops being like the worst bits of Uncharted. :/

Clearly, a lot of things about it are done really, really well - much of the animation, the script, and the voice acting. And it's pretty in places, especially considering it's a remastered PS3 title.

But the cover shooting gunplay and stealth mechanics which have formed the bulk of the gameplay so far just leave me entirely cold. Nothing is particularly bad about them - its just they feel like things I've done a thousand times before (not least in Uncharted). I admit though that I don't have the same enthusiasm for shooters, or even most action titles, that I used to - I haven't really played a shooter that genuinely surprised me in years.

I'm assuming the game will get better, given the way it was received at launch, but at the very least, it seems like a strange way to open the game.
#64 at 09:23:13 - 03/12/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Yeah, prepare for disappointment as you find yourself entering areas where the scenery is composed of familiar-sized blocks in various patterns.

Everything else is so well done that I was able to ignore that, but I dunno if I'd want to play it through again.
#65 at 13:15:27 - 07/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Three to four hours in now and I'm less disappointed than I was - I really like the scavenging/crafting side of the game (even though it's pretty lightweight really), and it's (unsurprisingly, given it's Naughty Dog) a well-told tale. Although there's still a fair few clunky lines the script is mostly pretty sharp, and both Joel and Ellie make for pretty likeable characters.

My biggest disappointment remains with the stealth aspects of the game. Right from the start the game suggests this is a thing you should be trying to do but all too often, getting spotted feels as though it's more a case of luck than skill. Like too many other stealth games it relies on you having an almost psychic knowledge of the layout of an area and the locations of enemies and whilst things like the hearing ability help with this, all too often I find I get spotted by enemies who are off-screen, or round a corner in an area I haven't even looked in yet. Also things like being unable to tell the difference between runners and clickers when in 'hearing' mode might be a deliberate design decision but it does make the game more frustrating (I know you can hear the clickers but I tend to play with the sound quite low so it isn't always obvious).

The other issue I have is with the controls. I don't mind that some things like crafting take some time to do, that totally fits with the style of the gameplay. But the control layout is slightly counter-intuitive and ends up being somewhat fiddly, particularly hen you're under pressure. Again, you could say this just makes the game more tense, but in 2014 I think it's a poor way of doing so.
#66 at 15:03:30 - 09/12/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
There are ways and means to do stealth properly (and I do agree that TLOU doesn't do a particularly great job).

The Batman games did a brilliant job of not only encouraging you to use stealth but making it fun to - and not kicking you roundly in the ballsack every time you stuff up.

#67 at 15:16:19 - 09/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Same goes for the Metal Gear games, which have always done stealth well. I think the thing those games get right is the way they communicate clearly to the player what the AI is doing and what alert level they're at, so if you make a mistake there's usually enough opportunity to back off and let things settle down again before trying again. In TLoU, as far as I can tell, once you've 'triggered' an area, the enemies will just attack until you've killed them, which makes for a sizeable disincentive to bother with stealth. As I've found, you might as well just wade in all guns blazing because most areas will end up with you fighting your way out like that anyway.
#68 at 17:02:24 - 09/12/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I always had a love hate relationship with the metal gear games (even the latest 'demo' on PS4) where it became almost impossible to shake an alert level once triggered in certain areas. I'm not the world's most patient gamer so anything that turns stealth into a chore has instantly lost me.

Treating stealth like an extension of a puzzle game works for me though - The Hitman series always did that best.

TLOU feels like it fell into a lazy hole of respawn in places and it also felt a lot like the game didn't give enough of a free rein over how you approached certain puzzles and challenges - it was basically the way the developers built it or FOAD.

Still loved it enough to want to see more in that universe but Naughty Dog need to cut out some of the chore bits, and definitely invest a little more time in making their games for thinkers not shooters.
#69 at 12:19:47 - 10/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Funny, I don't really remember getting frustrated with any of the MGS games, except maybe the second one in a few places, and I'm pretty impatient normally too. Very odd, it has been a while since I played an MGS game though, maybe I'm just rose tinting them.

TLoU though, clearly as it was built on the Uncharted tools and engine, it bears the same limitations, and those games have always had quite a narrow focus, concentrating on tightly scripted gameplay to push you through rather than a more open-ended approach. And Naughty Dog's attempts to give you more flexibility with things like the crafting system in TLoU aren't particularly successful as they're again far too limited in scope.

To be honest though, the (lack of) freedom bothers me less than the emphasis on combat which it shares in common with the Uncharted games. Individual encounters with enemies are too frequent and too drawn-out for my liking - I just get the impression Naughty Dog are worried players will get bored, although equally it could be a desire to pad out the play time, which is a shame.
#70 at 17:45:55 - 10/12/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I think stealth is one of the hardest things for a developer to implement in a game because each persons idea of what makes stealth fun is different.

Personally I think TLoU gets its stealth spot on not only in how it plays but how it relates to the game world. There is a risk/reward to how you decide to approach each encounter with enemies.

You could go in all guns blazing but you risk being overwhelmed and wasting precious resources that you may need further down the line (on hard this really is the worst way to go as there just isn't enough ammo available to be shooting all the enemies you encounter).

Finding the shortest way to safety while avoiding enemy contact is another option but you give up the chance to find a lot of resources (especially upgrade pills). My favoured method was to use stealth kills and distraction to explore each area and scoop up as many resources as I could find.

Patience is the key though. Using listen mode (which it is wise to upgrade asap) to keep track of where enemies are and only make a move when you are sure you can't be spotted.

Reading that back though I can see how loads of people would find that style of stealth extremely boring and in no way enjoyable. Like I said at the start of the post it is hard to implement stealth in a way that will suit everyone. Just in this thread we've had you and peej disagree about MGS. You'd like to see more feedback in the TLoU on what the enemies state of alert is and be given a chance to be spotted but quickly hide. For me that would completely ruin the atmosphere and tension in the game. Neither of us is right but unfortunately it means you can't enjoy the game as much as I did and boy did I enjoy it!

As it stands if you aren't enjoying the stealth gameplay of the TLoU now there is nothing in the rest of the game that is going to change your mind about it. My one tip for identifying whether an infected is a clicker or not in listen mode (if you have the sound down low) is to look at the shape of its head. If it wearing a hat or has a normal shaped head it is a runner or newly infected. A Clicker's head has been completely overgrown with fungus so you can use this trait to easily spot them.
#71 at 19:54:17 - 12/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sortof spoilers. :)

Finished the game in a hail of arrows and molotov cocktails yesterday. The ending is powerful stuff, and although the story sags a bit in the middle, it's well told and will certainly stay with me, I think.

The gameplay though just wasn't enough to support the game's length. The weapons, enemy selection and items don't really change after the first few hours, and the disappointingly limited stealth only avoids becoming a chore because I got good enough at it that I could cruise through most sections fairly easily (I did enjoy using the bow, which was my main weapon of choice in the second half of the game), and could often shoot my way out if not.

But there was too little in the way of variation - I was expecting at some point to get some Half Life/Halo-style three-way battles with humans and infected battling it out as I fought my way through but aside from a couple of set pieces this never happened, which seemed like a missed opportunity. The few set piece sequences were fairly predictable, and the handful of environmental set pieces (ladders, rafts), over-used to the point of feeling like padding.

And I think the ending lacked the real punch it might have done because I never really felt the sort of connection to Ellie's character that I think I was meant to - Joel's character development meant this was a less of a problem in his case but despite some nice lines and some forced 'protective' gameplay scenarios I didn't feel particularly warmly towards her character.

The other thing was that the resolution of the story was completely the opposite of how I actually wanted to see things resolved, which I found slightly frustrating. Of course, I'm used to stories not always having positive outcomes, or with them not necessarily ending the way I might ideally like to see them end, but somehow, when you're playing the thing, having the narrative go in a different direction to the one you want it to feels more galling. There's other examples of this of course, perhaps I've just been spoiled by playing so many games lately that allow you more freedom of choice over their outcome. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking because I didn't enjoy the game as much as I'd hoped I would. :)
#72 at 16:28:27 - 29/12/2014
Haisuli
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
nekotcha said:Interesting to read the comments above since I came here to ask exactly when TLoU stops being like the worst bits of Uncharted. :/

Clearly, a lot of things about it are done really, really well - much of the animation, the script, and the voice acting. And it's pretty in places, especially considering it's a remastered PS3 title.

But the cover shooting gunplay and stealth mechanics which have formed the bulk of the gameplay so far just leave me entirely cold. Nothing is particularly bad about them - its just they feel like things I've done a thousand times before (not least in Uncharted). I admit though that I don't have the same enthusiasm for shooters, or even most action titles, that I used to - I haven't really played a shooter that genuinely surprised me in years.

I'm assuming the game will get better, given the way it was received at launch, but at the very least, it seems like a strange way to open the game.

It looked almost like a standard Uncharted level with loads of places to take cover and gun your way through.

#73 at 10:31:51 - 09/01/2015
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:106(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've been watching the ending and people's reactions to the ending over the past few days.

It's kinda reawakened for me that Ellie is probably my favourite videogame character ever.

Also what I found interesting is people's reactions to the lack of choice at the end. People struggle with the operating theatre scene. It's an odd one: in a game that is 100% linear and devoid of (plot-related) choice, people suddenly find it constricting and it creates this feeling of helplessness and injustice. I don't think there's many linear games that quite so much make people want to rebel against them, but I think it says something for how much you feel that you are part of Joel, that when Joel's moral compass deviates from your own its a very strong feeling, jarring in a good way.
#74 at 11:39:28 - 22/07/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I guess they were confident enough that they'd be making a sequel one day, so couldn't give the player complete control over that scene for that very reason. Though here we are a couple of years on and no sign yet that we'll ever see Ellie or Joel again.

Potential is there though. Given the bits of Uncharted 4 I've seen so far, I would really love to see Naughty Dog flex their muscles on the PS4 with the stuff they could do with a sequel that doesn't just use a buffed-up version of the older game engine.
#75 at 13:39:40 - 22/07/2015

home
Left 1 2 3