Author Reply
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I don't really want to use a wireless connection, but since I finally have access to one I figure I might as well have something "just in case". So the cheaper the better, as long as it works "OK".

Any recommendations?
#1 at 07:12:28 - 14/01/2012
Furbs
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:37(2%)
AATG Pts:105
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Do you want PCI/PCI-e or USB? (Edit: Duh, just re-read the actual title, so ignore this bit).

I just picked up these and installed it last night. Get 4 out of 5 bars on the Windows wifi icon, so not as much as a PCI-E one with a full antenna (router is on the far side of the house) and it seems absolutely fine. Supports up to 150mbs which is incredible given the size and lack of antenna.

It has a very small blinking LED which some people might find annoying, but I actually like as it gives an immediate visual clue the wifi is working ok...handy if the monitor is off. If you mounted it in a rear USB socket I very much doubt it would light up the room though as its not a very powerful LED.

There is an even cheaper one on Amazon for 4.99 but it was blue and so wouldnt coordinate with my case darlink. Those were the two cheapest I found on ebuyer/Play/Amazon etc. Ordered on Monday at Amazon with free shipping, arrived Friday.

If you're piggy backing off someones signal though, you'd probably be best with something with an antenna. Otherwise though, to be honest, these days, I think wifi adapters are as much of an muchness as buying a standalone wired NIC.
#2 at 12:55:25 - 14/01/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That look spot on buddy, will give it a go. Cheers!
#3 at 20:09:27 - 14/01/2012

home