Author Reply
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
No Catherine thread? As much as I love the idea of adult themes and sexy anime girls, I'm not sure I can face the (apparently) bastard hard puzzle mode that forms the 'game' part of the game...

Anyone planning on buying it this Friday?
#1 at 13:12:39 - 07/02/2012
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I did a first impressions piece on the mythical front page back when it was released in Japan.

I'd love to get it but there's a couple of reasons I probably won't (unless Atlus somehow stump up a review copy)

1) Some of the puzzle game bits were ludicrously overblown and bloody hard too.

2) The titillation is a bit tame compared to 5 minutes googling for ecchi

3) I fancied the 'innocent' Katherine more than Catherine :)
#2 at 13:15:30 - 07/02/2012
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I won't be getting it because my wife is called Catherine and my son is called Vincent.

It's all a bit weird from thereon out.
#3 at 13:26:01 - 07/02/2012
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
:D

Apparently there's a demo of this on Xbox Live... might be time for me to check it out.
#4 at 16:47:46 - 07/02/2012
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Got this today in Game. Amazingly I also got the "art" book and soundtrack CD too.

Only played it for about 10 minutes but suitably weird, creepy and excellent all in one.
#5 at 23:11:45 - 12/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Really want this, but trying to save some cash. Hoping Lovefilm come through tomorrow.
#6 at 00:24:03 - 13/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'd love to see someone do a proper mature game..in this style.
#7 at 11:23:04 - 13/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
No movement from Lovefilm, and with a week off I'm tempted to head for the shops. I was saving some cash for FC3, but it looks like the handful of things I had preordered have all been bumped for a few months.

Just happy to see stuff like this released here; have any shops bothered to stock it?
#8 at 12:09:19 - 13/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Probably quite a few, it'll be a big seller at retail - for under 12s at least.

Quite surprised the press (the gutter press) hasn't leapt on it. Selling sex to kids! Shock horror!

I hope Atlus have a mega hit with this, but I think it'll be in the bargain bin in a couple of weeks tbh.
#9 at 12:38:34 - 13/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It is, at the end of the day, a puzzle game, so I can only agree it will hit £17.99 sooner rather than later.
#10 at 01:17:56 - 14/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just spent two hours going around the city looking for a copy of this. Have a load of vouchers for HMV. Can't spend them online. Try both their stores (because you need two in a miniature city like this). One tells me they've never stocked it, nor have plans to. The other said they got one copy, and the guy serving me sheepishly - ha - admitted he bought it because no one else was interested.

Tried every other local that sells games. Nada. (Why do twats like Tesco have their own populist top twenty? They told me it wasn't released, FFS). Game and Gamestation wanted £43 for it... or I could wait until a second hand copy arrives... and pick it up for a more generous £39.99.

Came home, clicked two buttons, it'll be here tomorrow for £34.

Fuck the High Street. Close 'em all down now.
#11 at 16:12:02 - 17/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You really got that much of a boner for hentai and puzzling? Man, the sites I could show you.... :)

Agree with the sentiments on bricks and mortar btw. Even dedicated high street game shops are getting worse and worse for new stuff and seemingly more crammed with people's flea-ridden old shite.

As for HMV, worst of the bunch. Shit shops, staff with shitty attitudes, shit prices and the government still bailed 'em out.
#12 at 16:54:19 - 17/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm just so pleased it's actually had a release here that I want to support it. If I can find a fucking copy.

I was eyeing up an import of MH3 HD for PS3 earlier, on Amazon. Apparently, it's not coming out here - indefinitely - because Sony insist it must have trophies and neither they nor Capcom are prepared to pay for the additional work/time on it.

I bought a PS3 for Monster Hunter. :'(
#13 at 17:14:00 - 17/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm now wondering if anywhere will stock Binary Domain. You know, that "foreign" Gears game. Staggering how much stuff just isn't available in the High Street any more.
#14 at 17:15:09 - 17/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Last time I looked (a few days ago in our big tescos megastore type place) the games section in supermarkets is getting beyond a joke. If you want fifty trillion copies of shitty kid-friendly 3DS games, or Call of Duty anything, you're sorted.

If you want anything vaguely interesting, forget it.

Not happy with Amazon at the moment (see the couriers thread) but christ, they're still a million times better than most online etailers and a galaxy better than any bricks and mortar store.
#15 at 17:29:19 - 17/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, this game was never going to be in Tesco, the supermarkets have gone to shit in terms of games now imo, probably in response to Game and HMV going down the pan. Saying that, I do still buy some big releases from Tesco, purely because there's a rather large one opposite my work that will at least sell me games at midnight (I work nights, so this is handier than you might think). They're not even good on price anymore, unless you catch them doing some sort of promotion.

I was disappointed to see it @ £40 as a download on PSN, too - only $40 on the US store.

rmj - sucks that that is why MonHun isn't coming out here. :( If you don't manage to get it in the next few weeks, I maaaaaay be able to sort you out a second hand copy for about £22, looking at the prices in Japan
#16 at 18:42:46 - 17/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
@ ilm.

Thanks, re the MH3 idea. Appreciate it. It's actually my lack of Kanji that is putting me off, but I've played enough of these games now that I figure I could get by. Some of the Yanks have grabbed it and been able to muddle through with online help.
#17 at 19:03:44 - 17/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Also @ilm

Just cracked and ordered a new copy for £30 on Amazon. Thanks for the thought, anyway.
#18 at 01:30:41 - 18/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
No probs, enjoy! I still haven't played Portable 3rd in any guise, semi-tempted to buy the PSP version once I get a Vita but ~not sure~.

/will try not to go further off-topic
#19 at 01:56:15 - 18/02/2012
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Just completed this (naturally, on easy mode - which is anything but easy, mind you).

Excellent animation and voice acting.

The mundane daytime events and the everyday theme of relationships and the natural voice acting all help create a cool "magic realism" atmosphere. It's a fantasy rooted in reality.

The game is a tad long, especially when the plot gets a bit drawn out over the multiple days. There's only so many times you stand another bar conversation about relationship issues and mysterious deaths.

Trendy music.

The main character sure goes through some torment. Towards the end of the game you'll probably feel a sympathy headache for him. He freaks out a LOT.

The plot makes about as much logical sense as you'd expect a Japanese plot to.

The gameplay is tough (I had to watch Youtube playthroughs for some parts) but exhilarating when you get into the swing of it and are making good progress ascending the towers. It would have been so much better if they'd toned down the difficulty a lot, though.

The grand evil plot in this game (revealed near the end) is one of the oddest I've seen in games. It's pretty unique.

A lot of sexy characters in this game.

There's a "morality meter" in the game (it swings from red to blue - and the meaning of it is revealed at the end). Your decisions swing the meter and affect the course of the story, but I found that the meter generally stayed in the blue zone all the way through, and I was pretty varied with my decisions. I think you'd have to really try on purpose to swing into the red.

I got a pretty lame ending and I don't think I could stand playing it again to get any other. It is a bit of a trek, this game.

In terms of style the game is effortlessly cool and has some very funny moments.

There's a feature that not enough people mention: often throughout the game you'll be asked a question and you can pick an answer from two options (they are generally morality questions or questions about love). You then get to see how everyone else who played the game voted, which is pretty neat. Like Wii's Everybody Votes channel but slightly more adult.

Speaking of adult, this game pretty much goes up to the line. There's a lot of strategic shots of a naked character that just about cover her modesty, and you receive sexts on your cellphone, and some very intimate situations that stop short of actual sexual activity. Other games are obviously more graphic but this game is quite risqué.

Anyway, totally worth playing through at least once.
#20 at 16:50:15 - 21/07/2013
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
This always looked ridiculously hard. Does it require a lot of patience and determination or could a wally like me get through it? Looks really interesting and... different.
#21 at 10:09:51 - 22/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, it's definitely not for the easily frustrated. I'm actually persevering on normal, and the game seems to have become easier after a ridiculous difficulty spike early on. Or maybe it's because I've become better. Either way, it's a game that keeps you on your toes, you have to be prepared for a LOT of retries on some stages.

Not sure how far in I am, maybe over halfway through (day 6 now iirc), and agree with NY's points. It's very similar in Persona in terms of style, how the day and night sections are essentially two different games, and also how it tends to become repetitive after a while. It's obviously very Japanese-y but the (farcical) plot and themes it deals with are universal, and surprisingly mature at times. Voice-acting is surprisingly good (was rather shocked when I found out that Vincent was voiced by the same actor that did Joel in TloU!). Does the morality meter stuff actually affect the outcome of the plot?

I think it's still free on PS+, so definitely worth trying.
#22 at 12:20:45 - 22/07/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yes I believe the morality meter makes a difference throughout the game.

The thing I like about it is that you'd assume, perhaps, that red is "evil" and blue is "good".

But those aren't the meanings. ;)

Binky, I'm terrible at games and I managed on easy mode (having to check YouTube a few times). Easy mode allows you to undo moves so you can always rewind if you're in a jam. I'd never survive without undos.
#23 at 15:19:57 - 22/07/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, I realised that it's not a clear-cut good vs. bad choice, as sometimes even the "good" answers put me in the red for some reason.

You can undo on normal too, without them the game would be nigh-on impossible I reckon - I'd have given up by now. I'm guessing you can undo more times on easy though, along with the block positioning perhaps made easier.
#24 at 18:48:15 - 22/07/2013
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Bump diggity.
#25 at 18:02:04 - 26/07/2013
Boo
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Howdy strangers, long time no see!

Question.

I picked up Catherine for my birthday - what's Mrs Boo going to make of it? She's firmly in the 'gaming desensitizes kids to violence' camp (although, ironically, loves driving around in GTA: Vice City).

Is it going to lead to awkward conversations, or should I just be tactful and play it when she's not around?

Edit - I'm assuming it's not particularly violent, but still 'adult'.
#26 at 16:14:20 - 06/08/2013
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It has very little violence, but (as the cover and trailers imply) can be a little risque at times. The game does deal with some mature themes (mainly relationships) but in a mostly silly and often farcical manner.

Finished the game (on normal) last week. Aside from the early difficulty spike, I didn't find it too hard (or rather, not as rage-inducingly hard as I was expecting - it's by no means an easy game). I guess that early fork-lady boss stage prepares you well for the rest of the game. Story was good, although it did drag on a bit and gets very silly towards the end. Very stylish and very bonkers overall, definitely worth trying.
#27 at 17:51:36 - 06/08/2013

home