Have your gaming habits changed over the years?

Author Reply
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'll start the ball rolling :-D

I definitely don't play games anywhere near as much as I used to. I can go weeks without playing much at all and then I'll suddenly focus on one title until I complete it. My only exception to this is playing on my iPod Touch. The puzzle games on this are great for short bursts of play and there are so many free games on offer each week that you always have something new to play!

It is extremely rare that I will pay full price for a game. I just don't see the point as I'm never that desperate to play any game, plus the online retailers are so quick to drop the price of most titles. I am most definitely a 'bargain bin' gamer.

I don't play games online any more. I remember not long after I first got broadband I joined a few of you guys to play Ghost Recon 2 on the Xbox and absolutely loved it. Chromehounds is the best game I have played online by far, but I also enjoyed co-op in Halo 3, Gears 1 & 2 and the free roam mode of GTA IV. In the end it was a combination a things put my off online gaming.

I never liked playing with random people online as they are either too good or just act like idiots. Obviously I could stick to my friends list, but if nobody was playing the same game as me I was knackered. Plus if you stop buying games on launch then you usually miss out on multiplayer action with those on your friends list. I came to the realisation that playing a decent single player game was much more enjoyable than pinning your hopes on finding a decent bunch of companions to play online with.

Another change in my gaming habits is that I really have no interest in playing extremely challenging games. A few years back I would have given a title like Dark Souls a shot, but now it just seems to me like an exercise in frustration. When I do play a game it is purely for my enjoyment. The last thing I want is to spend my time on a game that winds me up! I think that is why I love the Lego titles so much. They are designed purely to be enjoyed. There is a challenge to the platforming and puzzles, but there is very little penalty for your character being killed. The developers just want you to explore and enjoy the game they have created, not feel like you are fighting against it.

I'll also turn down the difficulty of a game if I get stuck, whereas in the past I would have tried to battle through the difficulty spike even if I was no longer enjoying myself. To me this seems ludicrous now, why persist with a game if it is winding you up?

So that is it for me. I don't play as much as I used too, I only buy games on the cheap, I don't do online and I don't do frustratingly difficult games.

Over to you guys :-D
#1 at 19:07:56 - 07/03/2012
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I play less, and what I do play, I no longer have the "complete to 100%" obsession.

Just thinking about how much time I plugged into the Jak and Daxter games, trying to collect everything, just to say I did it (they didn't even have trophies back then!)

I stopped being interested in news about upcoming games. I hardly even know what's coming out until it's there on the shelf, these days.

I'm way more casual than I used to be.
#2 at 19:49:51 - 07/03/2012
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Absolutely.
My habits have changed greatly over the last few years but mostly since having a baby boy. At first I was a bit annoyed not to have the time to play games - not because he was taking up the time, but because my gaming time over the last 10 years has predominately been from 9-12 in the evening and all I want to do is sleep at 1o now days :D

Change in habits also changed a lot when I left EA. No longer having freebies means I'm playing a lot less range, which is, I guess, no bad thing. I'm now more likely to complete a single game this way.

Less online. A LOT less. This is, again, due to having a nipper. I'm quite talkative online, and when a few of you are in a party, this can get quite noisy. In the past I used to ask wifey if I had my game too loud when she was sleeping. She'd nearly always reply "Not at all, but I could hear you laughing and shouting all night". Oops.

#3 at 10:15:27 - 08/03/2012
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I buy more games now than I ever have before but play far less.

I got about 15 games for christmas (extreme I know) but have yet to play them. In fact I have probably near 100 games that I bought over the last year that I have not played yet.

After the kids have gone to bed I seem to watch TV instead.

Also I have got more into Retro gaming and own loads of old consoles/computers. For example I bought a second 3DO (Goldstar) this week along with a few more 3DO games (Star Control 2, Crash n Burn).

I find I am losing interest in the latest games and much prefer to collect older games.

I also agree about difficulty settings. I play games on easy now and don't give a stuff about acheivements. If anything the alert that comes up annoys me.
#4 at 11:10:06 - 08/03/2012
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm quite similar to you in almost everything Sil, even down to the fondness for Lego games. I find it difficult these days to get motivated to play proper full blown titles due to knowing I'll have to commit enough time over a period to complete it. So I too will pick one game and focus on it until completion and then go weeks before starting up something else. That doesn't seem to have stopped me from buying games though so my bargain hunting days are very much still in evidence! I will almost never play through a game a second time either, which thinking back is something I used to do with plenty of titles.

I never really used to pre-order games or buy them on launch mainly because of having no money, but even now that I can afford to splash out a bit, I'm still not fussed about having things on release.

Online I haven't really changed because pretty much my only online gaming would be playing FIFA with a mate - and we still do that.

I still prefer fun, quirky games to dark, Americanised ones (especially FPS) that just seem a chore to play.

I download a lot more games than even a couple of years ago especially on the iPod Touch and Xbox Live. This is something I thought I'd never do due to my fondness for having a shelf full of pretty boxes lined up.

So in all, I guess I haven't changed mt habits too much. My preferred style of game is still mostly the same, but the way I play them has changed.
#5 at 11:38:19 - 08/03/2012
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
My gaming habits have drastically changed this year. I'm finding I get annoyed about gaming more and more, not the games themselves so much, just the amount of marketing rubbish strapped around what are essentially very simple ideas.

But like anything, gaming still has the power to inspire me and make me think "Wow, that was bloody good!" so it's not been completely written off yet.

Compared to 5 years ago when I'd spend around 30 hours a week gaming, I probably do about 14 hours a week if that - having a family does pretty much put the kybosh on getting too deeply involved in games and it's probably why the things I play have changed. A lot more 'pick-up-and-drop' style gaming, a lot less deep and involving stuff.

#6 at 13:13:52 - 08/03/2012
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
We're all becoming "casuals"! :D
#7 at 13:18:35 - 08/03/2012
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
TheBoy said:So I too will pick one game and focus on it until completion and then go weeks before starting up something else. That doesn't seem to have stopped me from buying games though so my bargain hunting days are very much still in evidence!

I'm the same as I can't resist a bargain and one day I might get round to actually playing all these games I have bought ;-)
#8 at 17:10:36 - 08/03/2012
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Binky said:We're all becoming "casuals"! :D

I think you are right. For FIFA 12 I went for the Ipod Touch version, surely the actions of a casual gamer ;-)
#9 at 17:18:26 - 08/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Binky said:We're all becoming "casuals"! :D

I am and it sucks because I always railed against such things.

I'm still a long way from proclaiming Angry Birds as the greatest most influential game of all time though and I just know that all this "I don't game any more" talk will go the way of the dodo as soon as GTA V comes out.
#10 at 17:41:16 - 08/03/2012
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Sillothian said:
TheBoy said:So I too will pick one game and focus on it until completion and then go weeks before starting up something else. That doesn't seem to have stopped me from buying games though so my bargain hunting days are very much still in evidence!

I'm the same as I can't resist a bargain and one day I might get round to actually playing all these games I have bought ;-)

That's what I keep telling myself when I click 'confirm order' yet again :)
#11 at 18:28:14 - 08/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I am also fairly casual these days in terms of my approach towards actually playing games, it is a borderline requirement of adult life imo whether you have kids or otherwise, but I think my appreciation of games, both creatively and from perhaps more pragmatic angles, has only become more keen and nuanced as the years have gone by. Certainly I understood and cared about actual game design far less when I was in school and dedicating hours and hours each week to playing games.
#12 at 20:22:49 - 08/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hear hear. I think I get like this towards the end of a console hardware generation, only for my enthusiasm to peak again once the next new shiny bit of kit with new shiny games hits the shelves.

The diamonds in the coal pile are becoming more sparse though. I used to be able to chart a year's games releases month by month but at the moment release dates for stuff I'm genuinely interested in (like Journey f'r instance) come and go and I don't even realise.

Time's the killer for me, time and other distractions (like rediscovering just how many hours I can lose to scribbling and sketching)
#13 at 09:36:35 - 09/03/2012
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Reading Sil's OP, I'm pretty much the same. I also don't do online at all (and rarely have done, aside from a bit of FIFA and SF4), but will happily put the hours into SP games - I see more worth in those, for some reason, because there is an end and it's a one-off experience.

One difference though is that I thrive on challenging games. Everything else I tend to find a bore, tbh - if it's a game that requires no effort and has minimal interactivity involved, I'd much rather watch a film. I'll also commit to completing a game, no matter how long it takes me, and will happily play the same game for months until it's done. For that reason I don't even pay attention to most new releases, only bothering to get something I like the look of after it's dropped in price.

I can see myself getting back into portables again - have no interest in the next Xbox/PS, and although I most likely will get the Wii U, it'll only be for the standard Nintendo exclusives and the odd decent 3rd-party game. Especially if the Vita turns out to be as good as I'm hoping it will be, in terms of offering a home console experience on a handheld with no concessions.
#14 at 12:40:51 - 09/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yes, I dearly hope the Vita starts to pick up some traction, it will almost certainly be my most used gaming device over the next few years as long as enough people buy it to keep companies making games for it.
#15 at 13:19:08 - 09/03/2012
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Mine haven't really changed, but then I haven't been playing for nearly as long as some of you have.

I obviously play a lot less now than I did when I went to school and since computer games have gone crazy with system requirements (read: don't run on whatever Mac I have access to) I'm playing less built-up, micro-management and strategy games. Wish they would make them for consoles. :(

Aside from that though I've never been a big gamer. I may play one or two games excessively, but I still only buy a handful of games per year.

What I like is that asynchronous online play seems to be gaining traction. Now I just need to find some people who have a similar game buying schedule as me, that is they buy games a few month after release, and I might actually make use of the online gaming modes every game seems have these days. :)
I never really got into online multiplayer gaming. It's just not as fun as playing, say Mario Kart, was with your friends sitting right next to you.

#16 at 18:11:03 - 10/03/2012
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I like to enjoy one game for ages like I did when I was 13.
#17 at 18:28:49 - 10/03/2012
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hmmm - I seem to be moving in a different direction to a lot of you guys.

Despite having much less available time than I used to (family/kids etc), while I would usually just dip into titles for a few hours and then move on, I'm now much more focussed and determined to complete games than I ever was before.

I've tonnes of PS2-era games that I played for less than an hour and never went back to. Similarly, I very rarely completed previous-gen games (PoP: Sands of Time is the only one I can recall...), but now is something of a rarety for me not to see a game through to the finish.

I do by a lot less games than I used to - mainly because it may take me weeks or months to complete those I do buy - but still love shiny new hardware; hence the Vita purchase.

If anything I've become less casual over the last 5 years, but still wouldn't call myself a 'hardcore' gamer...
#18 at 15:19:27 - 13/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
frod said:I like to enjoy one game for ages like I did when I was 13.

This is where I am too and it feels pretty good. I'm even committed to finishing off stuff on the nag pile that I never got round to finishing before.
#19 at 15:20:51 - 13/03/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I don't think my gaming *desires* have changed much over the years, but the concept of free time sure has. I still play more than I should, and I currently feel I'm getting the last of that out of my system. Girlfriend moves in in two weeks and whilst she is quite happy for me to indulge the hobby, there's no way I'll be pulling the late nighters that I used to. Mind you, if I wanted to, something would be up, eh?
#20 at 07:55:05 - 18/03/2012

home