Author Reply
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Blagged a ticket to the Cast & Crew showing (my mate did SFX on it). I liked it a lot - very Ridley Scott in tone and visuals, reminiscent of Blade Runner in places. And like a lot of his films will totally polarise audiences. Some will say it's a masterpiece and others will walk out not knowing what the fuck really happened. And still unanswered questions - I suspect a followup to fill in as the middle part of Scott's trilogy (Alien being part 3).
#1 at 17:03:08 - 30/05/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, he's already talking about a follow up. :)
#2 at 17:26:30 - 30/05/2012
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah, there you go then !
#3 at 17:56:51 - 30/05/2012
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Sounds good that it takes the tone from Bladerunner rather than any of Scott's later stuff. Thing is, he's good at this stuff, good at weaving together a mythos with a hint of terror. So let's hope that he manages to do the same thing with the Bladerunner sequel, there's acres of potential there.

#4 at 10:04:05 - 31/05/2012
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The more I ruminate on seeing Prometheus (I saw it last Sunday) the more I hope Scott really doesn't do anything with Blade Runner like he's threatened.

A poster on IMDB compared Prometheus to The Phantom Menace, while that's a tad harsh I think it's a good comparison.

The script makes no real sense and has stupid plot holes you could pilot an M-Class star-freighter through.
#5 at 15:49:50 - 09/06/2012
jiGen
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I just saw it. Loved the first hour or so, but then... yeah. Bunch of walking cliches die in cliched ways, the end.

I haven't seen Alien in ages, so I can't remember if the crew were as mind-numbingly stupid there as they were in this film. You might think that, on such an important mission to find life on another planet, that they might have chosen people that weren't idiots.

"This is a scientific expedition. No weapons!"
what

"This place is really scary, so I'm going to go back to the ship alone, with no weapons."

"Aww, look at the little snakey thing. AREN'T YOU CUTE."
/facepalm

It wasn't even scary.

Anyway, I liked Michael Fassbender, and Charlize Theron in a jumpsuit.

The scenery was also nice. Apparently they filmed in Iceland.
#6 at 11:36:20 - 11/06/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Loved it.

Missus didn't see about ten minutes as she was hiding behind her eyes. (Hates snakes.)

Really impressed, but can see why it's dividing opinions. Looking forward to a rewatch on DVD already.
#7 at 22:06:24 - 12/06/2012
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I wonder whether there's about 30 mins of character development on the cutting room floor (or ready for a Directors Cut).
#8 at 01:07:42 - 13/06/2012
jiGen
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I'd file in the same sort of place as Avatar: "glorious visuals, shame they couldn't have been in a better movie"
#9 at 11:39:17 - 13/06/2012
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's a fun film to watch but it's full of plot holes and it doesn't fare well under close scrutiny.

I can think of over half a dozen reasons why their futuristic carbon dater is useless when they try to date the head. They'd have been better off asking the geologist to guess based on the weathering of the stone outside.

The 3D was deployed sensibly. Unlike the trailers beforehand. A lot of the shots appeared to be composed with the technology in mind. More to complement the effect than shove it in your face. I'd like to see it in 2D as I suspect some of the framing would seem odd or unconventional.
#10 at 14:25:30 - 15/06/2012
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Tiger_Walts said:It's a fun film to watch but it's full of plot holes and it doesn't fare well under close scrutiny.

I can think of over half a dozen reasons why their futuristic carbon dater is useless when they try to date the head. They'd have been better off asking the geologist to guess based on the weathering of the stone outside.

The 3D was deployed sensibly. Unlike the trailers beforehand. A lot of the shots appeared to be composed with the technology in mind. More to complement the effect than shove it in your face. I'd like to see it in 2D as I suspect some of the framing would seem odd or unconventional.

Agree with that - there's a lot of explaining to do still as well. My mate who worked on it said they filmed it with 3D cameras from the start, so you're spot on about the shots being composed with 3D in mind. Apparently Ridley Scott was so pleased with the results he wants to use 3D all the time now. Was told about a specific scene where he was ordering the makeup people to plaster white make-up on one of the actors in very specific areas, and the guy was saying that it looked terrible in the flesh, but when he went back and looked on the 3D monitors it looked fantastic apparently.
#11 at 23:22:00 - 15/06/2012

home