Ex-RARE employees scraping together cash for a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie

Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup and you can follow 'em on Twitter too

@MingyJongo

See, here's the thing. I never liked Banjo Kazooie. But I loved Nuts and Bolts and would much rather see a sequel to that :)

Nice to know that they've got most of the original team back together for it though, and well away from Ninty / MS influence. So it could be a corker!
#1 at 11:29:55 - 27/09/2012
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've always been surprised at how highly a lot of people rate B-K and its sequel. Although very polished and with some moments of inspiration, I always found them quite repetitive - too often requiring you to simply collect a load of items rather than genuinely giving you something interesting and different to do.

Always nice to see some former devs getting the freedom to do something like this though, nice that between Kickstarter and Unity they have a genuine chance of making it happen without publisher involvement too.
#2 at 17:12:08 - 27/09/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It could be the one thing that saves gaming from the greedier side of the industry.

I'm of the same mind though, I'd much rather see some of RARE's other more interesting projects from the N64 era get made. I had no fondness whatsoever for Banjo Kazooie but if there was ever a kickstarter for a team of ex-rareheads to remake Blast Corps I'd be all over it. That's a game that still has gigantic potential and could really rock if done proper justice. Not just a HD polish up but a real long hard look at what made the game great and coming up with all sorts of ace vehicle designs / behaviours strapped around that core theme of trying to stop a nuke going off.

#3 at 17:50:59 - 27/09/2012
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It's not the greed I have an issue with (games development is a business after all) so much as the fact that most big publishers are too risk-averse, which dilutes gaming down to a handful of over-used stereotypical titles churned out year on year. That's not just doing gamers a disservice, it's also bad business sense - you don't make a successful business out of doing the same thing as your competitors, for the same price, in all the same places.

Funnily enough one of the Crash Lab directors (who I'm working with at the moment) was project lead on Blast Corps. Personally I'd love to see a remake or sequel to that too, somehow I doubt it's high on their list of priorities right now though. :)
#4 at 19:10:20 - 27/09/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Pass on my compliments, that game was singly one of the best on the N64.

I could really see how a sequel or a buffed up version would work. If someone strapped that gameplay into a roaming open-world framework where you responded to missions / distress calls, hand picked the vehicle for the job and then tootled on out there, it'd be amazing.

In fact, come to think of it, I'm actually quite surprised no one's done a sandbox rescue game like that. Not effectively, anyway.

Really want to play it again now.
#5 at 09:59:24 - 28/09/2012
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
And in the opposite direction it's also crying out for a demake - a top-down forced perspective 2D version (think the original GTA but with buildings you can knock down) would be awesome.
#6 at 11:30:32 - 28/09/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup that would equally work :)

#7 at 12:16:45 - 28/09/2012

home