peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Anyone play the demo?

Plays fairly OK but maaaan they need a new art team. Characters look like old 3DFX stuff!
#1 at 11:05:33 - 11/10/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Is there a demo on 360? Quite interested in this for a change of pace, but not sure I'd have the time for it, with Dishonoured arriving today.
#2 at 12:14:09 - 11/10/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup there is.

It's marginally better than the crappy Cenega XCom ripoffs but it still seems to wrestle control away from you a bit much.

Definitely still manages to retain some of the classic XCom gameplay in places, just needs a bit more care and attention with some of the character graphics (particularly the humans).

Try the demo though. It'll be interesting to see how well this sells against the big and proper FPS type XCom when that arrives.
#3 at 12:20:18 - 11/10/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I made the mistake of playing the demo last night...mistake because now I want this too :-(
#4 at 13:49:28 - 11/10/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Grabbed the demo, will try it later. This sounds great from early word of mouth.
#5 at 12:36:37 - 12/10/2012
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Unlocked on Steam at midnight, I thought I'd have just a "quick" go before before bed.

Managed to stop 80 minutes later.
#6 at 12:53:06 - 12/10/2012
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've been playing this for most of the weekend.

The graphics and 3D models are pretty poor, the characters hammy as fuck and the whole thing is a massive b-movie cliche, but in spite of all of that, it still manages to be pretty fucking great.

It's fucking brutal too. Dishonoured didn't even get a look in.
#7 at 11:01:47 - 15/10/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Enjoyed the demo. If I don't get a rental copy, I might pick it up for buttons over Christmas.

I'm not sure where this new found restraint has come from.
#8 at 11:08:49 - 15/10/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
With you on that one, it really isn't a looker but oh my, it did at least remind me of why I went absolutely nuts for stuff like Rebel Star Raiders when I was a kid.

That gameplay is intact at least, though I reckon it'll probably get better in the full version with proper control over your squad and loadout.

Not picking it up at launch but I will definitely be all over it once it drops sub 20 quid (which given the way things went last year at this release time, won't take too long!)
#9 at 11:09:54 - 15/10/2012
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It looks good enough for what it's trying to do, but also remember that this is the Unreal Engine so people are going to look crappy. Firaxis' art peeps at least took the time to try and add skin imperfections which is more than can be said for the gross abuse of airbrush in the fashion and marketing industry.

Also take into account that a good deal of the scenery is fully destructible, which severely limits the lighting effects that can be used.

The final product is still a little rough in places.
-Free-aim becomes a battle between your mouse pointer and the edge scroll when you're trying to aim at stuff far away.
-Structures with multiple levels and a roof can be a real pain to work with as the roof gets drawn while you are trying to move or aim inside on the highest interior level.You can always eventually select what you want but it requires plenty of view rotation and scrolling through levels.
-Pad works pretty well but only if you have it turned on before booting, if you lose connection mid-game there's a chance it won't re-detect it and I once got in a situation where I had to Alt+F4.
-People are reporting that the SHIV is bugged.
-Spawning of enemies is bugged. I've had a Sectopod spawn in the cell next to my overwatching sniper while its drones spawned across the map.
-Characters clip and fire through scenery during cinematic actions.

But it's still an incredibly accessible version of X-Com. The core tactics and strategy (or acceptable variations thereof) are still present. The controls significantly flatten the difficulty curve and the early game isn't as cruel and unfair as the original. It is still incredibly punishing if you let your guard down but most failures will be down to your mistakes, either in battle tactics or your overall strategy.

Normal difficulty will be very easy for anyone with experience in a 'Tactics' style game. I finished the game losing only 5 dudes and there was a ton of things I never researched or built. Classic mode appears to result in a longer game, with a scarcity of resources, you are also expected to fail a number of missions resulting in extra recruitment costs.
#10 at 17:07:48 - 16/10/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Figured it would be something like that. It's only really during the cut scenes and scene-setting stuff that the crappy character art 'jars' - Not so bad in a game when you're actually popping grey heads.

#11 at 17:11:42 - 16/10/2012

home