Author Reply
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I took advantage of the 14.99 upgrade offer for new PC buyers and I have to say I quite like the new interface. I can see this being a very divisive OS as so many of the things you have taken for granted in the Windows UI have changed.

Microsoft have made a big mistake in not offering a full tutorial of using the new interface. I've found out most stuff through trial and error, and websites like this.

It didn't take me long to get back up to speed, but I not sure how well some people cope with two user interfaces to contend with! Still if Windows 8 does take off big time then we expect there to be no 'classic desktop' in Windows 9 ;-)

The actually installation process was very slick indeed. The installer scans your Windows 7 setup and tells you what drivers/apps are not compatible with Windows 8. It also provides links to the manufacturer's websites to get the appropriate upgrade info and all this can be saved to a html file that you can refer back to after you have installed Windows 8.

You also get the opportunity to make a bootable DVD or USB stick for installation. I just upgraded straight from W7 where I was given the cjoice to either keep everything (apps, settings and personal files), keep only personal files or keep nothing. I chose to keep nothing as I want all the bloatware off my laptop.

One tip I have to free disc space after installation is to run the disk cleanup app, chose clean system files option and remove old windows files and windows upgrade files. They took up about 30GB on my system!

Definitely the best thing about Windows 8 is the sub 10 seconds boot times. It never gets old having your PC boot up like lighting :-D
#1 at 23:13:25 - 03/11/2012
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I upgraded my netbook yesterday from a, ahem, slightly dodgy copy of W7 as the 24.99 upgrade price seemed too good to miss to go legit.

The main problem I encountered is that Windows Apps won't run with a resolution of less than 1024x768 and my netbook only goes up to 1024x600. You can fudge this to work by altering a setting in the registry, but it makes everything go a bit blurry. Hopefully this is something Microsoft will fix in an update?

I haven't had much time to play around with things yet, but so far I quite liked having the two distinct interfaces. It's simple enough to switch between them, although I'm not sure how much I will use everything.
#2 at 10:30:16 - 04/11/2012
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Would it be a good operating system for the parents? As in, ease-of-use wise.
#3 at 21:01:37 - 04/11/2012
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
NewYork said:Would it be a good operating system for the parents? As in, ease-of-use wise.

The new start screen and the Modern UI apps (Metro as was) are extremely easy to use. The apps make finding and sharing content a piece of cake. If all you are going to use your PC for is web surfing, email, messaging and uploading photos then you really can't go wrong with Windows 8.

However the decision to upgrade your parent's PC will really depend on how confident they are at using the machine. The Windows 8 interface is easy to use, but it is also quite a lot different to how XP, Vista and 7 have worked.

Now you have no start menu and the taskbar appears on the left only when you hover the mouse in the top left corner of the screen. Modern UI apps aren't displayed in windows and their menus only appear when right click, plus the settings menu for all apps is always located in the charms menu which appears when you point to the top right corner. That is just a few of the changes and if they are going to be using desktop apps as well then they will have to be able to get used to switching between the two distinct UIs.

The switching isn't that big of a deal, but if you aren't that confident in using a PC in the first place then this could be an extra layer of complication you just don't need! Your best bet is take your parents to PC World and let them have a blast on Windows 8 to see how they get on with it.
#4 at 23:32:57 - 04/11/2012
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thanks, very helpful!
#5 at 00:38:21 - 05/11/2012
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd recommend turning off the 'Read Offline' option in the Windows 8 news app especially if you have a small usage allowance on your broadband. I was having a quick scan in the task manager and noticed this app had used 600 megs of data in a month downloading articles to read offline.
#6 at 17:33:32 - 03/05/2013
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Just got a Windows 8 laptop for my grandparents.

God help them. Even I can't get along with the interface. It's an abomination.
#7 at 13:13:40 - 06/05/2013
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
NewYork said:Just got a Windows 8 laptop for my grandparents.

God help them. Even I can't get along with the interface. It's an abomination.

Here are the tutorials that Microsoft did not bother to include with Windows 8!
#8 at 20:25:48 - 06/05/2013

home