Author Reply
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
A simply stunning game that is my GOTY by a country mile!

As I have often repeated on this forum I am a massive fan of the Lego games and I also love the LOTR films so I was expecting big things from this game, and it certainly delivers. It makes great use of the LOTR license combining the music and movie dialogue to capture the atmosphere of the films. There is still the trademark Lego humour though in the cutscences but it has been dialed back from previous titles.

The standout feature is the fact that the game's hub is Middle Earth. The further you get through the story the more places you have to explore. I just got to Helm's Deep, but there is nothing to stop me wandering all the back to Hobbiton if I feel like it (there is a fast travel option included too). There is loads to do both in the levels and around Middle Earth. A new feature that has been added is the ability to craft items. You find plans hidden around the game world and use mithril blocks (which you acquire for completing levels, solving puzzles etc.) to pay for their creation by the blacksmith in Bree. These items might needed to complete some of the side quests in the game, but quite a few give characters abilities they wouldn't normally possess so you can explore more the world before you have unlocked all the various characters.

Definitely the best Lego game yet :-D
#1 at 20:40:16 - 28/11/2012
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Looks really good, thanks for the impressions. I think I might get it "for my son" for Xmas.
#2 at 08:33:03 - 29/11/2012
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
According to a number of posts on HUKD, this seems to have been reduced to 20 in Asda stores. It's also that price online, but currently showing as out of stock.

I might have to try and make a trip into the nearest one tomorrow, but the HUKD masses have probably hoovered them all up to stick on ebay by then.
#3 at 15:53:19 - 07/12/2012
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've been playing this pretty much exclusively since Christmas and have really enjoyed it. There does seem to be a lot of glitches though, that I haven't noticed so much in previous Lego games. Stuff like boss fights getting stuck in a loop and not activating the next stage, characters getting stuck and puzzlingly, a handful of story achievements that haven't popped.

But despite those quibbles, it really is an excellent game. I like the huge amount of extra items that you can find and then equip, plus all the little side quests and brick puzzles.

I think on the whole, I still favour Lego Batman 2 as my favourite, but that's probably down to subject matter as much as anything else.
#4 at 16:50:22 - 14/01/2013

home