Author Reply
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
So, I've written an article about Sony subscriptions and how they muck about with the 'auto-fund' setting (in short, bit of a security loophole and all-round inconvenience, everytime you take out a sub on PSN, it automatically changes your auto-fund setting to 'On', regardless of whether it was off before or not).

Anyway, whether you agree with it or not, be nice if you'd a) head over and have a quick read and b) even leave a comment.

And, it's currently ranked 4th in the NewsNow rankings, something that site has never had before.

http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2013/01/29/ps-trials-dont-get-caught-out/

Regardless of my own personal situation, which I'm just a bit pissy about, the main concern is the security issue it causes. And that Sony staff confirm that auto-fund is ignored when you take out a subscription.

To explain what it could potentially mean...a parent buys a PS3 for their child and sets up an account on the PSN for them.

They fund the account with some money and then turn auto-fund off. That way the child can spend the money but after that they can't fund the account with anymore money until the parent enters in a password to authorise payment from the card.

But...if said child decides to purchase a subscription...the auto-fund turns back on, without any other controls, and voila, they now have unlimited access to the store. Until the parent gets the credit card bill, and cries.
#1 at 21:07:29 - 29/01/2013
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Shocking, Sony in a security fubar. Well done on the ranking spot!

I always thought your real name was Joe, not Rachel though...
#2 at 09:14:18 - 30/01/2013
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Heh, sex-change alert.

No, I asked for either the Editor or Sub-Editor to publish it as then that way it carries a bit more weight when asking for a comment from Sony.

I dictated that using an iPod piece of software. It got everything bar about 10 words spot on. I was quite impressed. It would have taken me ages, at the moment, to type all that out otherwise.
#3 at 17:07:29 - 30/01/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Plus now it has that "concerned mother" thing going for it
#4 at 19:57:00 - 30/01/2013
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Rachel would kill you if she knew that you'd called her a 'mother'.
#5 at 20:13:58 - 30/01/2013
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Best keep mum NY
#6 at 09:38:52 - 31/01/2013
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
My friend had the exact same thing happen with the PS Plus subscription, auto renewal was set to off and yet they still took the money from his account - iirc it kicked him into his overdraft too and he got a £20 charge from his bank
#7 at 12:15:44 - 31/01/2013
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Demo vs Final on Alien Colonial Marines

What the hell happened here?! the demo looks much better, I've read and heard "this is a working title not representive of the final product" but this the oposite of what normaly happens... O_o

Does any developer here like to give us a small insight of what might have happend?

Apparently it was compared against the PC version on high settings...
#8 at 00:10:00 - 14/02/2013
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
How bizarre - I'd understand what happened if the game was demoed on PC and then released as a console-only title but to have released the final game on PC looking worse than the demo is baffling.

The only thing I can think of is that they created the demo to a certain spec that they then realised wasn't feasible for much of the game - even on PC - and so had to trim a load of engine features to make the game work as a whole. Either that or some incredibly inept coding meant they couldn't disable engine features on a per-platform basis, but I really doubt that.
#9 at 11:32:11 - 14/02/2013
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
We had an huge debate at work today between gamers, and that was the best explanation we could reach...

Or for some reason they destroyed their budget and in the worst cas scenario they just didn't care in the end and only wanted to get it out the door with out much care except for the money.

And this was said by some big Gearbox fans...
#10 at 23:36:21 - 14/02/2013

home