Author Reply
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Shame they didn't steal a decent script.

Prometheus was a bigger disappointment to me than the shitfest that was Avatar, after Titanic I'd rather given up hope on Cameron doing a decent movie again but I had some faith with Scott.

BIG MISTAKE.
#121 at 22:44:17 - 03/07/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Watched as an unintentional comedy Prometheus is bloody hilarious though. The bit where Michael is winching the other two back into the airlock during the particular storm almost made me wet myself, it makes the effects on 60s Batman look sophisticated!

Shit film though, couldn't agree more, really does not bode well for Scott pissing around with Bladerunner again if this is the sort of shit treatment it'll get
#122 at 10:09:09 - 04/07/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So the Lego movie's supposed to be that intentionally shitty then, right?

Christ, another cracking example of the trailer being better than the film. The one good joke (the one about the batmobile and the invisible jet) was in the trailer.

At least the nipper liked it
#123 at 18:01:31 - 11/08/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:So the Lego movie's supposed to be that intentionally shitty then, right?

Christ, another cracking example of the trailer being better than the film. The one good joke (the one about the batmobile and the invisible jet) was in the trailer.

Sorry, Peej, but got to disagree - I thought TLM was surprisingly good. My kids love it too...
#124 at 10:48:44 - 12/08/2014
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
The Lego Movie has a score of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes... think you're very much in a minority there Peej
#125 at 12:17:09 - 12/08/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Nowt new there then :)

#126 at 16:29:39 - 12/08/2014
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:So the Lego movie's supposed to be that intentionally shitty then, right?

Nonononono, it's a remake of the Matrix :D
#127 at 08:59:32 - 13/08/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Incidentilly Mrs F_P and I have been watching Orange is the New Black since the weekend - only 5 episodes in but definitely an enjoyable watch.
#128 at 14:04:05 - 13/08/2014
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
It seems to be quite popular, but after I think 4 or 5 episodes we completely gave up on it.

The first episode sets it up nicely and it showed a lot of promise, but after that every episode was so bland, it almost felt like a soap opera at times (but with Lost-esque flashbacks)
#129 at 14:21:29 - 13/08/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
blizeH said:It seems to be quite popular, but after I think 4 or 5 episodes we completely gave up on it.

The first episode sets it up nicely and it showed a lot of promise, but after that every episode was so bland, it almost felt like a soap opera at times (but with Lost-esque flashbacks)

I know what you mean - it's pretty 'light-weight', but it's an easy watch and quite funny in parts.
#130 at 11:38:13 - 14/08/2014
eliza86
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:1(20%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Lets see I try to watch a movie a day, the last few I have watched are Papillon, The Watchmen, Final Destination 1, 2 and 3, and Ninja Assassin.
#131 at 14:25:48 - 14/08/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Been watching 'The Honourable Woman' on telly. Good twisty-turny stuff, but it's got a slight whiff of 'I'm so clever' about it. Really great performances though. Stephen Rea is great.

In t'cinema, it was Apehood part 2, which looked fantastic, but was a bit too shallow and damp for me. I think they pinched an early scene from 300 - anyone spot it?
#132 at 02:27:12 - 17/08/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Thought the first Cap movie was OK, this felt like it was trying to tie up too many loose ends for the Marvel Universe to concentrate on Cap's adjustment to the modern world

The plot twist was spoilered on the back of the bloody blu ray case (though I'd already seen a few fuckwads spoiling it elsewhere).

Most awesome bit was watching Jenny Agutter kick arse (well, sort of)

5/10
#133 at 10:40:16 - 26/08/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Watched Cap America 2 with my wife last night. Basically, morally two-dimensional 'roid-monkey slaps goons with a bin lid. It was alright, but I think it suffered from having to come off the back of the (far, far better) Avengers Assemble.

The Raid 2. Dull as ditchwater. Epic crime-drama was not the direction to go after the excellent first film. This bored the piss out of me.

All is Lost. Robert Redford, on a boat. Briefly. Almost no dialogue (although one sterling use of the word "fuck"). I actually didn't feel that engaged by it, or so I thought until the ending... Man, that ending. Really hit me afterwards. Worth a look.

Animal Kingdom. A brilliant crime-drama from Australia. The director has just released The Rover, which is a must-see going by this first piece. Absolutely brilliant.

Wife is making me sit through Orange is the New Black. It's... passable, mostly, but utterly predictable.

Just watched the whole series of True Detective. Might just be the best TV since the Wire.
#134 at 18:44:15 - 30/08/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Her.

Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with his operating system, voiced by Scarlet Johansson.

I can't help feeling that a better ending would have been Samantha turning out to be Skynet and the reason for the destruction of humanity was that insipid nerd.

I'm trying to steer clear of a "his computer went down on him" gag, but no promises.
#135 at 14:52:11 - 31/08/2014
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Godzilla. It started off promisingly- if Bryan Cranston had been the main star it would have avoided a lot of the tropes that it ended up succumbing to. As it stood, the young clueless dad running about stuff was a bit dull. I didn't even really understand the whole giant parasite baddy stuff but that was probably because the wife was talking to me about important stuff.

Grand Bucharest Hotel. Brilliant, looks lovely, has a great whimsical story and doesn't outstay it's welcome. One of the best things I've seen this year.

The Winter Soldier. Personally I prefered the first Cap America film to this, I thought it was a bit overblown. They captured the look of the Winter Soldier perfectly but other than that it was a bit meh. Too much CGI for me, with a character who doesn't necessarily need it.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Points for having the death of Gwen Stacey, points taken off for not doing the Marvels version of it :) Didn't enjoy the film very much at all, it was so uneven. Bursts of frenetic activity and then plodding dialogue and really heavy handed dead Captain Stacey inserts didn't mix well. And playing Elctro like the nutty professor was a stupid idea. Rami's second film is still the best Spider-Man movie by miles.
#136 at 12:33:19 - 03/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - I'd initially dismissed the first film as something of a Battle Royale teen-orientated re-make, but was actually really plesently surprised. It has a much more coherent backstory than I expected, and there was some proper acting. The action was pretty light-weight, but it massively exceeded my (very low) expecations.
So we moved on to the sequel. The first section was pretty good, but towards the middle of the film, it felt like a cheap cash in of the first THG film (I know it's a trilogy of books), with more of the same except bigger and badder. The final end section fully changed my view and I'm not really looking forward to the 3rd film (due November)

Also

Orange is the New Black watched both seasons over the last few weeks. It's not GoT amazing, but it's a genuinely entertaining prison-based comedy-drama. There are some great, interesting characters and the first season is mainly about the main character finding her feet (although she does do some bloody stupid things), ending with the usual shock/cliff-hanger.

Season 2 also starts really well, but seems to tread water for 4 or 5 episodes, before bringing all together for the final 2. Hopefully there'll be a season 3.

Not essential viewing, but still better than most of the trash on TV
#137 at 13:53:03 - 10/09/2014
James_Howell
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:7(50%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
As far as TV is concerned, I've just been following House of Cards on and off, plus re-runs of the original FRIENDS.

Last weekend watched the Penguins of Madagascar movie with the kids. It was pretty hilarious, with one gag following the other and we were all rolling in the aisles with laughter throughout the movie! Then before that we had watched Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar'. Very captivating, with some amazing visuals. The only thing which was a bit on the downside was the scientific terminology and concepts in the second half, some of which a non-scientific person like me wasn't able to comprehend very easily.
#138 at 09:31:59 - 12/12/2014

home
Left