State of Decay

Author Reply
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I know a couple of us are waiting for this. I've been surfing for reviews and impressions all day: definitely going to download it, even if it's a bit rough around the edges. This vid seems to capture the feel of the game well, warts and all - slightly ropey graphics, exploration, survival, panic, narrow escapes and unfortunate permadeaths.

I've not read any reviews yet but I did feel from the vid that it scratches a very fundamental itch i.e. Grand Theft Zombie. Undead Nightmare didn't really do this as it didn't have the emphasis on survival / scavenging / (light) strategy that State of Decay seems to emphasise. I don't mean this as a criticism of that splendid expansion pack; I guess I'm just excited to have something a bit DayZ-ish to play (I really need to become a pc gamer, so much I miss out on...).

#1 at 19:20:44 - 04/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I honestly can't see me picking this up tomorrow. It's right up my street - roughness and all.
#2 at 19:36:54 - 04/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Can't or can't not?

/pedant
#3 at 20:08:15 - 04/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Heh.

You know I'm buying this. You KNOW it. :D
#4 at 23:42:37 - 04/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Yep :-)

Actually, I just had a look on live just in case, but it's not up yet. I'm assuming it'll be there when I get back from work. I've really become quite excited about this....
#5 at 06:47:03 - 05/06/2013
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The tearing on those IGN videos is down to their capture equipment and not the game. Just in case you were worried ;-)
#6 at 11:08:52 - 05/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Just as well as it made it look even shoddier! Downloading now...
#7 at 18:58:37 - 05/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Spent an enjoyable couple of hours being Rick Grimes yesterday. I picked this up pretty much sight unseen. I had thought it would have co-op, but I probably woulnd't have used it if it had; I wasn't expecting to be managing a stockade and it's people quite so much (it feels like a videogame version of the new Zpocalypse board game in that sense).

It's VERY rough around the edges, but I'm really rather liking it. One to try before you buy.

And I haven't lost anyone yet - but I am playing like my life depends on it. Especially at night.
#8 at 10:17:57 - 06/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wait... I'm hearing rumours that bad things continue to happen to your team even when you're not playing the game!? Ulp!
#9 at 11:02:45 - 06/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You know what's really great about this? When you're getting a mission or update on the radio, and shit kicks off... your character cuts in with "wait a sec, dealing with this". You sort things out and when it's clear the conversation continues.

More AAA stuff (whatever that is) needs to have this in it. I've lost count of the times I've missed a briefing in games due to my inability to hear or multitask.

There's some great stories popping up about players' experiences so far.
#10 at 11:57:56 - 06/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
It's easy to get lost in this isn't it? Very absorbing! I'm having a little break as I find the possibility of permadeath a bit stressful.

It annoys me that influence diminishes over time - I'm not sure I get the reason for this yet...does it make much of a difference?

Also, what are the benefits of outposts?

And what are infestations all about...worth tackling?

Of course I'm sure this will become clear over time. It's so far a very engaging game that seems to have real depth to it.
#11 at 19:56:49 - 06/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You must tackle infestations. There's usually a mini-horde camped out in the buildings. If you don't clear them, the stress of their proximity has a detrimental effect on your base. Some people will leave. (There may also be a bug they're looking into as the game isn't sure how close some places are.)

Outposts, I'm not sure on, but I think you install supply depots and survivors in them, and can lay traps around the area. Not tried yet.

Not lost a survivor yet, although had some Dark Souls-ish moments when I escaped against all odds. I care about this bunch, I was positively squirming when Marcus escaped from two Hordes with a sliver of health, only to blunder into a Feral zombie... yeah, I now get why the NPCs made a big deal of that SoB.

It is rough around the edges, but seems to have one of the smartest designs of anything I've played in a long time.

Mercy-killing folk just before they turn is really bloody brutal. Done an amazing siege, which was as good as the one in Resi 4, found some new zombie types and a crashed plane in the fields. Wasn't brave enough to search the latter yet.

It's well worth keeping people alive as their skillsets develop quite a bit. The cardio one is the biggest lifesaver. Oh, and use silencers!
#12 at 20:44:53 - 06/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Ah, thanks for the info on infestations. I cleared one and came so close to losing two characters as a horde came rushing upon us as we were doing it. There are a couple more on the map that need clearing, and another Feral Zombie mission....and I still haven't done what I assume is a key story mission i.e. go and get the doctor. Too many other missions are popping up. Right now I'm trying to get my head around expanding the base.
#13 at 07:02:59 - 07/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
A weekend off and I seem to have slipped a little behind the zombie killing curve... Bloody hell, flex, did you drop a nuclear bomb on the town!? I assume you're enjoying it?
#14 at 13:33:30 - 09/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Ha. I have spent rather a few hours on it - including lots taking out hoardes in my car. It's not disappointed me at all, though you get the sense of a greater game waiting to happen - one that's more polished, and with multiplayer / co-op options implemented. It's been an absolute blast so far and a real bargain at the price. Love it.

Oh, and as you probably know by now anyway - outposts essentially create a comfortable buffer zone around the main base (I'm in Marshall with the warehouse as my HQ currently).

Still, I unwrapped and put in Metro Last Light this morning - holy hell, talk about a stunning looking game. It's playing very nicely at the moment too - I have to admit I prefer the more forgiving approach in the sequel, including overpowered stealth options.
#15 at 17:04:44 - 09/06/2013
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
And done. That must have been about 20+ hours. Definitely my favourite game of the year so far, pipping Terraria. They really nailed the balance in terms of action / strategy / character customisation and I don't think it bored me for a minute. Highly recommended; certainly up there with the best recent zombie games i.e. The Walking Dead / Left for Dead.

Now for The Last of Us...
#16 at 08:37:01 - 19/06/2013
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm halfway through a marathon run of the fourth season of Walking Dead... Magnificent, so far. (I may also be slightly in love with Maggie.)

And to take a break, I think it's time I crawled back into this. The dlc stuff wasn't that great, in the end, but the base game remains a real highlight on XBLA.
#17 at 16:59:57 - 30/10/2014
James_Howell
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:7(50%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Have always felt that this is one of the best zombie-survival horror video games out there. The way you have to rescue survivors, build up your ranks, find shelter, set up outposts, trade resources - it's all so amazing and a complete package.
#18 at 09:50:06 - 12/12/2014

home