DMorgan
Flag
Comments:98
Thread Kills:7(4%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hi guys,

I thought it might be a nice idea for regular contributors to give their 2 cents towards an article I was thinking of, covering our most-wanted titles coming up over the next year. I was thinking primarily of PS4, Xbox One and Wii U, but if there's something in particular that you're looking forward to on PC or the handhelds (or even mobile platforms like iOS), then by all means feel free to include those too and I'll try and slot them in.

If you'd like to take part, email me with your contributions at dale@allaboutthegames.co.uk, including a link to any trailers or gameplay videos on youtube so I can be sure to stick them into the final piece. You will of course be given full credit within the article and your words will be taken directly from whatever you send in, with any edits approved with you in advance.

I'd like to have this up preferably towards the middle or end of the week, so if people can get their stuff sent to me by Wednesday around 5pm uk time then that would be great, but if people are having trouble getting their bits done by that time then it shouldn't be too much bother putting back publication by a day or two.

In the meantime, if you could let me know here if you're planning on sending something over it would be appreciated so I can make sure that I'm not missing anyone out before publishing the finished article on the front page.

Hope you all had a great weekend

-D

P.S, if you can make sure that contributions take up no more than a couple of hundred words per game, that would be nice. Feel free to put in as many or as few games as you like though. With so much ground to cover, I'd like to keep the final total word count to no more than about 2000 words if possible, though that's a target rather than anything set in stone. If we end up going over, then so be it. In the unlikely event that this generates a large level of interested contributions, we could always split it up into two or more articles published over several days.
#1 at 03:37:51 - 11/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Confirmed interest so far -

Dogmanstar
NewYork
Bremanacht
#2 at 09:59:13 - 11/11/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I was really racking my brain to think of any next-gen game I can say I'm looking forward to (seriously, I even went through the PS4 release schedule).

Nothing reeeeally sticks out. Except maybe stuff that exists only in theory e.g. the next Naughty Dog game and The Last Guardian (no doubt due for PS4 at this point unless they want to release the damn game on a corpse).

Anyway, I wrote a fluff piece for Final Fantasy XV which I'll certainly play out of obligation, but I can only say I'm looking forward to if it turns out to be any good (I haven't got my hopes up).

Here it is:

Tetsuya Nomura wound up as the director of a core Final Fantasy title by default when his spinoff title received the upgrade treatment. Originally announced as Final Fantasy Versus XIII all the way back in 2006, the decision was soon made to rebrand the game to the fifteenth main instalment in the series, owing to the rapidly increasing scope of the project. Radical departures that are sure to divide the traditionalists and progressives include bringing the series into action RPG territory, and the promise of a universe more like our own world than seen in any Final Fantasy before. The return of Kazushige Nojima from FFX (and X-2) may fail to excite those who didn't enjoy X's meandering pilgrimage plot, but Nomura's knack for character design and slick action sequences certainly carries over from his work on Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. With many fingers pointed at FFXIII's corridor linearity, it remains to be seen if XV marks a return to the series's illusion of open world exploration, or if spiralling next-gen development costs are forcing Square Enix to deliver their cinematic experiences on a tight leash. With Square Enix increasingly vocal about the damage that the Final Fantasy brand has suffered in recent years, eyes are fixed on Nomura's Final Fantasy XV as a crucial piece of the puzzle for the resurrection of the series.

Trailer
#3 at 15:52:20 - 11/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'll happily add that if you like mate.

If you want to chuck in a few words about Last Guardian or what you want to see from the next Naughty Dog release, then feel free too; hypotheticals are just as valid at this stage as anything concrete; it's more a piece of what you're looking forward to seeing.

It might be worth thinking about some sort of spin-off article about what people hope the new consoles will bring to the table further down the line as well. In that sense we could get a bit creative with our thoughts about what we'd like to see from Naughty Dog, Rare and the like. Could make for an interesting opinion piece, especially if we revisit it in a year's time or something.
#4 at 16:09:25 - 11/11/2013
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
darkmorgado said:I'll happily add that if you like mate.

Sure, it's all yours
#5 at 16:51:59 - 11/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Cheers buddy. If you want to contribute anything else for the piece, feel free to whack it across :)
#6 at 16:57:11 - 11/11/2013
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Only thing I'm slightly interested in from the consoles is Titanfall, and that's only because I'm a bit of a mug for how it looks. It's almost certainly just pew with a bit of flair. Oh, and fat bots. BF4 is a bit tempting in MP, given the fun had on BFBC2 MP.. hmm.

SteamOS is what really interests me.

The level of cynicism directed at it is surprising, given that it does nothing to harm existing interests other than offer more choice. If it steals sales from Windows-based PC, or from consoles, it will have to be good, right? It would have to offer something better. If it offers something better, than what's the problem? If it doesn't, then ho-hum - nothing lost, it didn't cost you a penny.

Can you imagine buying a PC for gaming and *not* having some version of Windows on it? I don't know about 'next-gen', but that concept is revolutionary to me. The last genuine threat to Windows gaming was the Amiga, decades ago.

Mobile gaming is probably a bigger threat to the console next-gen, as mobile hardware will continue to develop fast. I'll bet it'll catch up with PS4/Onesie within 5 years. How will consoles cope when they're squeezed by PC (Steam/Windows) on one side, and mobile gaming on the other? Should be an interesting fight.
#7 at 01:45:28 - 12/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
If you want to do a little bit about SteamOS instead of an actual game for the article, then I'm happy to accommodate you, Brem :)
#8 at 01:49:09 - 12/11/2013
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
Nah! Use what you want.
#9 at 02:28:55 - 12/11/2013
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Bremenacht said:
Can you imagine buying a PC for gaming and *not* having some version of Windows on it? I don't know about 'next-gen', but that concept is revolutionary to me. The last genuine threat to Windows gaming was the Amiga, decades ago.

Pff! When the Amiga 500 came out, the IBM PS/2 was only six months old or so, and graphics are pretty much comparible between the two. Most PC owners either weren't gaming on them at all, or still playing crap like CGA Golf.

Not to mention that the only Windows around then was Windows 1.0, and classic Windows 3.0 didn't come out until over two years later.

Once Super VGA computers started to become mainstream, people started to leave the Amiga scene, but in simple terms, nobody bought a PC for its games in the '80s.

But to focus back on topic, I'm finding it hard to maintain any interest in the coming gen. Modern AAA gaming pretty much leaves me cold, with whizz-bang effects used to disguise what is pretty much still the same old penny shooter it always was, padded out with worthless storylines.

So I'm glad that this launch gen there's something more of a focus on indie gaming. I've not really researched what's coming out on that front (and for the most part I prefer for it to come as a nice surprise by word of mouth anyway) but I played a bit of Resogun at the Expo and it's just the sort of immediate p'tew p'tew I like.
#10 at 03:56:15 - 12/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You want to take part at all mal?
#11 at 08:24:40 - 12/11/2013
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
I could perhaps knock something up, but it's likely to be very PS4 focussed, since as far as I can tell MS haven't started getting developers on board yet, while Sony have presumably been sending out devkits. As long as you've got enough coverage of Xbox One titles from the other contributors, I can do a bit of digging and put together a few words on a couple titles if you'd like.
#12 at 19:19:25 - 12/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Focus doesn't bother me at all mate, pick what you want!

Someone's already given the nod to SteamOS, and on my part I'm probably going to put a nod in towards Oculus Rift after experiencing it at the EG expo, so it doesn't even necessarily have to be a game. It's a more a forward-looking piece to the industry as a whole.

Doesn't even need to be next-gen particularly; Dark Souls 2 hasn't been announced for the upcoming consoles, that I'm aware. And there's bound to be plenty of cross-gen stuff for at least the next year (the new Dragon age, for example).
#13 at 22:01:19 - 12/11/2013
Bremenacht
Flag
Star Rating
mal said:but in simple terms, nobody bought a PC for its games in the '80s.

Heh, true, but so many who had PCs then also had games snuck away on them. I remember 'working late' so that I wouldn't get caught playing Starglider on the office machines.
#14 at 02:25:18 - 13/11/2013
DMorgan
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Bremenacht said:
mal said:but in simple terms, nobody bought a PC for its games in the '80s.

Heh, true, but so many who had PCs then also had games snuck away on them. I remember 'working late' so that I wouldn't get caught playing Starglider on the office machines.

My 80s gaming was mainly restricted to the C64/Spectrum at mate's houses and then Acorn stuff later once I managed to convince my family of its "educational" value because we used them at school.

Of course, I ended up almost immediately using the Acorn for gaming way beyond its use for anything educational (bearing in mind this is pre-internet, of course). I still remember successfully convincing the grandparents to buy me Cataclysm (a old 4th Dimension game) because "the fluid physics will help me with my science lessons". With that one, my granddad ended up playing it more than me (he also got addicted to chocs away, and from then started backing me up on my blatant bullshit education excuses on the sly, unbeknown to my gran at the time).

Fun times.

Anyway, bit off-topic (though now it makes me want to do a retrospective piece on the Acorn for nostalgia's sake... one for the idea list I guess)
#15 at 02:53:00 - 13/11/2013

home