Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Found a new blacksmith, at last. Not that he's ready to start handing out better goodies...
#31 at 00:26:03 - 24/03/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
The blacksmith in the Lost Bastille, I presume. It took me ages to blow up that wall (though apparently there's a key to the door you can get from elsewhere).

I was invaded for the first time yesterday - by the waterfall in Huntsman's Copse. I was horrified to get the message and see some tankish build lumber towards me. I just circled them, back-stabbed and finished them off as they struggled up off the ground. Got a shiny new shield as a reward!

Turns out that this is an NPC who spawns there. There goes my sense of accomplishment.
#32 at 07:41:30 - 24/03/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Had a bit of a blitz on this, the last couple of days (thank Christ for Easter holidays). About forty-three hours in, now, which seems astonishing really.

Managed to make some real progress, of late. Nice set of Dranglaic armour, with some lighter Elite Knight apparel for trimmings, Flame Sword is at +7, immense Tower Shield. Drifted away from duel-wielding, as it just isn't viable with how cheap some of the bosses are.

Finally invested in magic, something I have typically neglected in these games. That kind of ranged attack is vital, I now realise, and bows just aren't quick enough for anything other than kiting.

Finally found a use for some boss souls, although not how I expected... You take them in for better weapons. Assume I'm doing this right... I managed to snipe a vendor at long range on the advice of some prick leaving spiteful messages.

Speaking of pricks: how many people honestly entertain themselves by leaving warnings for illusory walls every-fucking-where? Why!?

Biggest annoyance is the bullshit enforced pop, where your dragged into someone else's world, only to discover they staged a cheap ambush, and you're walking into a half-dozen enemies, whilst some bell end makes cheap shots at you. Zero fun, and the designers need their arses kicked for shoving so much in.

Not all people are twats, happily. Having learned that the only way I'm going to take out bosses is with back-up, I've been pretty impressed with the community who lay down summoning stones. Managed to take a few bosses out with the first encounter. Made big inroads into save new areas yesterday. Killed a very large boss, which awarded a red greater soul. Any idea why?

Currently soul level ninety-nine, and showing no sign of finding the edges of the world. Going to have to go back to the last two games in the series once this is done, play both properly, now I'm trained up.
#33 at 10:53:37 - 09/04/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wait... When I summon help, it increases the health and damage of the boss I fight? So when my buddy gets spanked in the first ten seconds... the fight is even harder?

Arseholes!
#34 at 11:19:44 - 09/04/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I actually didn't know that. I do know that boss fights are even so much, much easier with a buddy. It is of course hit / miss regarding how good the person is, but mostly they have been really useful. The key is just dividing the boss's attention.

There are 4 bosses that give you special souls - I think you need to have killed all or most of these to progress beyond a certain point?
#35 at 12:44:11 - 09/04/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Still relatively early on in this (about 20 hours in), and although it's still obviously great, it's lacking a lot of the magic that the first one had for me.

I think that's mainly down to the fact that a lot of it feels samey, right down to the weapons and items being largely the same. As a result the game doesn't feel quite as mysterious and daunting second time round.

Also not helped by allowing the player to warp between bonfires, which really ruins the cohesion of the game world. There's very little sense of slowly digging deeper and seeing how far you can get, bonfires are everywhere, and for some unexplained reason you have to warp back to Majula just to level up, which breaks up the flow. All changes for the worse, imo.

That said, it's still Dark Souls, and I'm still enjoying it. And from what I've read the game picks up and gets much more interesting in the second half, so maybe I should reserve judgement until then.

#36 at 13:29:48 - 09/04/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I think that's a fair summary, Kay. I think it's still fantastic but some of the spark has gone, and I've realised that is largely down to a) lack of novelty b) lack of challenge (edge of the seat nail-biting tension is perhaps a better way of putting it)....outside ball-busting boss fights. I mostly attribute b) to the fact that it is easier to get from bonfire to bonfire, and there is a sense of lower stakes in most situations - easy enough to get to the next bonfire without worrying so much about losing souls (there are some notable exceptions e.g. No Man's Wharf). I've still lost around 30-50k souls but that's usually carelessness.
#37 at 17:53:31 - 09/04/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I stand by the lack of novelty comment but I think at this stage, with a better understanding of the back-story and having developed an incredibly satisfying build (1) / equipment set (2), I'm enjoying this more than Dark Souls.

(1) 40 dex, 40 strength, 40 agility, 40 endurance being the main stats; always under 70% equipment load, making me a fast rolling hard hitting evader...

(2) ...usually two-handing it with my Katana set: maxed Beserker blade, maxed fire Uchigatana, maxed Washing Pole, maxed Manslayer; those and +10 dark pyromancy glove, and maxed Dragonrider bow.

I really do feel it's a customised build and one that suits a preferred play style. That said, I've just re-specced for the first time as I want to experiment with sorcery / hex / miracles, most of which I've collected. Can re-spec if it doesn't gel.
#38 at 12:52:34 - 20/04/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
And I'm done. Just got the Dark Soul and reached 1000 achievement points - one of the few games where I've actually cared about achievements and found the hunt for them enriched the overall experience (I'm not sure I would have joined the sun-bros otherwise and I ended up absolutely loving helping out with bosses - something I didn't do once on my first playthrough).

I say I'm done but it may be an itch I'm forced to scratch soon. Or perhaps it's time to return to Dark Souls....
#39 at 20:32:43 - 07/05/2014

home
Left