Author Reply
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I was always a big fan of the first two games on the PS3 so I was really looking forward to Second Son and I wasn't disappointed.

First off it looks stunning. Great lighting, smooth framerate, huge draw distance and great effects (especially for your powers). Gameplay is very similar to the first 2 games. You have the main story missions to go at as well as clearing out the bad guys from each district of the city. The key to combat is keeping on the move. I struggled at first because I kept trying to go 'toe to toe' with large groups of bad guys but when I changed tactics (and upgraded my abilities) I started kicking arse ;-)

I've been playing for ages and still haven't opened up the bottom half of the city. Just been having too much fun with my newly unlocked powers :-)
#1 at 11:49:49 - 27/03/2014
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's exceptionally good. It has such a great sense of immersion and it's certainly one of the nicest looking 'this gen' games I've seen so far. It does highlight the fact that this gen we're not looking at a huge leap in technology, but you can certainly see the benefits of having a ton of system ram and processing power to throw at an open environment game like this (no detectable tearing, some truly fluid animation and - despite still using the hoary old methods - some great facial expression capturing going on).

I got this at roughly the same time as MGS and this has definitely been the more impressive title IMHO.

Only worry I now have is that I'm going to be all burned out on Seattle by the time I get to exercise my hacking prowess in Chicago for Watch Dogs (which is currently the only other PS4 game I've got on preorder at the mo)
#2 at 12:02:39 - 28/03/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Finished my my first play through as a good guy and I have mixed feelings about this game.

I loved the majority of the story missions, the side activities and generally blasting around Seattle. The powers are great (the second being my favourite) and the combat against the DUP troops was great fun. The game looks stunning and has definitely set the bar high for the next round of PS4 games.

However the boss fights in this are badly designed, frustrating, utter pieces of rubbish that almost ruined the rest of the game for me. It is like they were designed by a totally different team as they are so at odds with how the rest of the game plays. The combat in the game is based on movement, taking advantage of the environment and mixing up your powers. Once you get to the boss fights though you are restricted in where you can go and what powers you can use. I hated each one of them with a passion and discovered that I can be extremely creative with swear words when provoked! I mean the boss fight to get your third power makes no sense at all in the context of the game.

****SPOILERS****

You are trying to get 'video' powers from a gaming nerd called Eugene. You find his hideout and he transports you to a virtual world to fight a big angel in an arena with platforms that raise and fall into a huge pit of lava, and also contains supplies of smoke and neon for you to use.

My problems with this are -

1. All the other boss fights take place in the real world.
2. If Eugene can transport you into a virtual world with virtual lava that can kill you why does also make platforms and supply you with ammo to fight him? Why not just drop you straight into the lava and have done with it?
3. Once you get his power why can't you whisk you enemies away into this virtual lava land? It would certainly make the confrontation with Augustine loads easier!

Honestly it is like somebody thought 'wouldn't it be great if Delsin fought a huge angel, with lava and moving platforms and stuff?' Well no it would not!

****SPOILERS****

I was going to go straight into a 'bad guy' run through the game but after my issues with the boss fights I think I will give it a while and then knock the difficulty down to easy.
#3 at 20:16:38 - 06/04/2014

home