Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:463(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
No official Destiny Thread? Oops! Oh well here's one to arrange games, talk about it, but no spoilers please.

First impressions from a couple of hours. Fuck that install :) Loving the game though, it's got that Mass Effect vibe about it but with a ton of seriously addictive shootery action going on.

Quite enjoying it!

Up for some co-op if people don't mind a non-chatty player.
#1 at 10:08:13 - 10/09/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Yes, definitely - feel free to invite me in if you see me on, if I'm pottering around on my own I'll happily join. Particularly keen to do some strikes with folk on my friends list.

I'm enjoying it just as much as the beta, if not more. There's a lot of negativity floating around and of course I can understand people reacting to hype, coming out disappointed etc. There's no question some elements should be improved but for me, the shooting and looting hits the sweet spot. Rab Florence is spot on here: Destiny Diary
#2 at 12:13:10 - 10/09/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
There's an interesting piece on Kotaku about a couple of their writers' early experiences with the game. I think, to an extent, it sounds like they're perhaps wanting it to be something it's not - comparisons with RPGs and MMOs are all very well but it has always presented itself as a shooter with MMO elements, rather than as a full-blooded RPG. But still, as a result I think it appeals to me less - I think I was imagining something like Mass Effect with more polished combat, but it sounds more like it's Halo with character upgrades and multiplayer elements integrated into the main campaign experience.
#3 at 13:04:21 - 10/09/2014
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Good grief - Peej enjoying a shooter?!

I pumped the full 85 in for the expansion digital pack nobhead edition on xbox one. I know, I know, but it was all on GAME voucher credit, so *shrugs*.

I like it. The story is bobbins, but that's ok, the gunplay more than makes up for it, and I love the Sparrows because I can pretend I'm on a speeder bike from Star Wars!
#4 at 13:11:42 - 10/09/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
nekotcha said:There's an interesting piece on Kotaku about a couple of their writers' early experiences with the game. I think, to an extent, it sounds like they're perhaps wanting it to be something it's not - comparisons with RPGs and MMOs are all very well but it has always presented itself as a shooter with MMO elements, rather than as a full-blooded RPG. But still, as a result I think it appeals to me less - I think I was imagining something like Mass Effect with more polished combat, but it sounds more like it's Halo with character upgrades and multiplayer elements integrated into the main campaign experience.

That - bolded - is pretty much exactly what it is in my opinion.
#5 at 13:16:57 - 10/09/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Which is fair enough, of course. :) Another thing the article did remind me though is that the design pattern of "Fight your way into an area, then defend it from enemies whilst Macguffin is happening" was often over-used in Halo and it sounds like Destiny suffers from the same problem.

It's difficult of course, because shooters don't really offer much in the way of different ways of interacting with the world - you can either walk and shoot things or, er, stand and shoot things (I'm exaggerating of course, but it is a genuine problem).

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to come into the thread and start kicking the game when I haven't even played it, as I know it's a bit irritating when people do that - in fairness I was genuinely interested in playing it prior to release so it's mainly because I'm a bit disappointed that it sounds like not so much my sort of thing. But yes, I shall stop now. :)
#6 at 16:46:47 - 10/09/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I think it's good to be aware of what it actually is before you buy it :-) (this is why I'm surprised some people who played the beta are complaining now).

I suppose in addition to the gunplay, there are also some mild elements of exploration - and there is genuine pleasure to be had in this, as the worlds are so beautiful and well-created. But the main pleasure is the shoot and loot loop....again and again and again. This is fine, for me, for now, as I'm enjoying the world and the feel of the combat.
#7 at 08:47:08 - 11/09/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
See, I am genuinely surprised I'm liking it because it's really not my usual sort of game. I think the firefights have a lot of depth to them, a lot of appeal and scope for retrying missions when you're better tooled up. I can take or leave the multiplayer aspect but drop in drop out co op is a great feature.

Love the setting too, feels a little bit more grounded than Halo.

I don't even mind having "The Imp" in my ear constantly but I'd give my eye teeth for him to randomly shout "I am the god of tits and wine!"
#8 at 13:58:29 - 11/09/2014
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
Loving this more once I got past the parts featured in the Alpha and Beta, as mentioned above Rab totally nailed why i like it too!

Up for some co-op too

Also, Paul McCartney's theme song is fucking terrible.
#9 at 14:00:43 - 11/09/2014
oldskooldeano
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think it is a fantastic game. I'm absolutely loving it. A very simple game, and the voice acting is total gash (Who is worse? Bill Nighy or Peter Dinklage?), but it is honed to a very fine sheen. Superb production and design values. Brave when it needs to be.
Has anyone actually mapped out Old Russia totally? People say it is small but there are parts of it I can't get to yet because the enemies are too high.
This game is designed to be a slow burn, not consumed in a 4 day binge. All the negativity floating about annoys me. If you can't see that this game is top top quality (Thanks Arsene Wenger) then you need your head examined.
#10 at 14:27:47 - 11/09/2014
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Espad said:Loving this more once I got past the parts featured in the Alpha and Beta, as mentioned above Rab totally nailed why i like it too!

Up for some co-op too

Also, Paul McCartney's theme song is fucking terrible.

I've yet to hear the song, I consider that to be a bonus!

It really is kicking my arse though - I so need to get some better gear!
#11 at 10:27:20 - 12/09/2014
CrispyXUK
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Anyone up for a few games? I'm only at level 7
#12 at 17:57:03 - 12/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
nekotcha said:but it sounds more like it's Halo with character upgrades and multiplayer elements integrated into the main campaign experience.

tbh if the campaign sounded anything like a Halo campaign I would be more interested in buying it. As it stands the campaign sounds far more like something from Monster Hunter than Halo.
#13 at 00:20:13 - 13/09/2014
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:591
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It does give that Halo ball hold at times, when the music kicks in and a fuckload of bastards beam in. Good times.
#14 at 15:08:36 - 15/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, the music is absolutely top tier, easily the "most Halo" thing about it (in the sense that it actually makes it feel like Halo, rather than the superficial stuff that is just cribbed to no actual effect).

The more I play the game the more I'm coming to like it, but each element feels like it needed just a little bit more fleshing out to create a completely convincing whole.

If anyone is about on Playstation later, give me (stray_dog_renji) a buzz.
#15 at 11:55:40 - 16/09/2014
oldskooldeano
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was doing the moon strike last night and we kicked ass. Kept the mobs down and were whittling Phogoth down. 2 of us died and then the 3rd with 1 second respawn time remaining. Never mind, until dude 3 said, oh right that's it I'm off, leaving the two of us standing there like lemons. No way could we do that on our own. So back to Orbit. Going to try again tonight. Love it!
#16 at 18:42:56 - 16/09/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Now that's annoying and poor form on the part of the 3rd dude. I love the strikes, and I think the Moon strike may be my favourite so far: juggling the mobs and Phogoth. I know not a lot of people feel the same though!

The first time I did it I just followed the lead of the two randoms I was with - we stayed in the entry room the whole time, prioritising the Shrieker whenever it arrived in the room. It's a valid tactic, I think, though I preferred subsequent goes, working your way around the arena.

Must get back to some shortly - been missing it since the weekend (no time to play!).
#17 at 19:29:40 - 16/09/2014
oldskooldeano
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Moon strike accomplished! First time this time. On to the next!
#18 at 00:04:13 - 17/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Jeez that Moon Strike is a bit of a wake up call compared to the rest of the game up to that point. ^^;
#19 at 04:00:42 - 17/09/2014
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Finished the story. Think the game was overall given a bit of a hard time by some people (including, err, me), it has grown on me a lot as I've played through it.

Still only level 18 so need to do a couple of bits and bobs before all the extra stuff is open to me, but I quite like the look of how integrated the end game grinding systems are.
#20 at 04:14:35 - 18/09/2014
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, resurrecting this thread as I'm starting to resurrect my interest in the game.

I loved this, on 360, and played for many hours (shit crucible stuff aside). Then the first dlc came out and they took out some of the game I'd already bought, and said I had to buy the dlc to get it back.

Stopped playing that day.

I'm out of touch on where it is, but I know The Taken King (it doesn't have Liam Neeson in, does it?) is out soon. I found a copy of this, deluxe edition, for 35 online - but I want to check that the base game, last two dlcs and this new chunk all come on the one disc? I'm looking at PS4, of course.

No way am I paying 75 to buy it digitally. What the fuck is wrong with digital pricing/PSN?
#21 at 14:09:30 - 20/08/2015
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
repairmanjack said:I'm out of touch on where it is, but I know The Taken King (it doesn't have Liam Neeson in, does it?) is out soon. I found a copy of this, deluxe edition, for 35 online - but I want to check that the base game, last two dlcs and this new chunk all come on the one disc? I'm looking at PS4, of course.

All on the disc pal. Probably be a huge patch the first time you try to play though!
#22 at 20:53:51 - 20/08/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I got pretty much as far as I could with it without doing the raids - about level 32. I did enjoy it but soured to it after the crappy DLC, then deleted it when that bell-end started talking about throwing money at the screen. Not sure if / when I'll go back to it even though the Taken King is getting good press.
#23 at 16:54:36 - 23/08/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
simplygames have despatched my copy of Taken King deluxe. Are they massively breaking street-date, or will I only be able to play the current bits of the game?

EDIT: Ho ho! Mix up on the despatch email. They've actually sent me MGS5!

/watches letterbox
#24 at 15:30:10 - 26/08/2015
neosalad
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:2(10%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
/bump

really enjoying this (on XBone)
though wondering how different my experience is with playing the newer version that includes Taken King DLC etc..
ive tried to avoid any of TTK quests so far.. (level 29) and do main story or the other 2 DLC things..
should i just do some TKK Quests as i level up?
#25 at 13:52:35 - 02/02/2016

home