Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So did anyone see the footage over the weekend? Excited? No?

Thought it looked quite awesome meself but no discussions about it in the usual places...

Oink
#1 at 11:46:48 - 08/12/2014
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:34(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
My guess is you hide behind things and shoot people.
#2 at 13:56:40 - 08/12/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, it looks great. Drake seems a bit too chatty though. Not sure if he was more chatty than usual or I'm just more sensitive to it.

Probably best to avoid all media about it from now until release.
#3 at 16:41:14 - 08/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've seen some comments saying it's just a 1080p version of the original game which is, erm, a little harsh. It's not a massive leap on from the PS3 games but it's clearly a much nicer-looking game with all sorts of little graphical touches that make it feel more like a living world.

Gameplay-wise, yeah, it is still very much a cover shooter with some climbing bits in between. The larger, more freeform environments the demo implies have the potential to make the gameplay a little less rigid than the original but the thing I worry about is that the larger, more open environments just give you more places to get shot from, whilst the increased detail and better lighting makes it harder to actually spot where enemies *are*. This sort of thing doesn't really come across in a demo because whilst the person playing makes it look like they're winging it, they'll actually have practised it dozens of times and so will know exactly where every enemy is.

I'm still somewhat bitter at Uncharted after the enormous letdown of the third game so I'm still on the fence with this one - it definitely has potential and it's clearly going to be good, but it hasn't sold me on it yet.
#4 at 20:22:10 - 08/12/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Liked what I saw, It takes some lessons from the last Tomb Raider and some from Assassins Creed.

I still hate seeing in games the hide behind a bit of wood and the bullets won't it you (same goes for films)
#5 at 17:15:52 - 28/12/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've been playing Uncharted 2 over the holidays, and finally seeing what the fuss is about with the series (having previously only played UC1 and the Vita game). So yeah, now excited to see what they do with the PS4 game - as long as there's little of the boring repetitive jungle sections and more of the scale and variety of UC2.

nekotcha said:
I'm still somewhat bitter at Uncharted after the enormous letdown of the third game so I'm still on the fence with this one - it definitely has potential and it's clearly going to be good, but it hasn't sold me on it yet.

I've seen a few people claim the third was a letdown - what was so wrong with it?
#6 at 16:35:14 - 29/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Kay said:
nekotcha said:

I've seen a few people claim the third was a letdown - what was so wrong with it?

I think it was - as always with Uncharted - the combat. They introduced a new melee system which looked quite good in videos but they also tweaked the AI to constantly flank and get up close to you, in order to show off the melee combat. All fine in principle, but the number of times I got caught in a corner with an enemy off-screen laying into me became quite tiresome. Oh, and they introduce a really annoying enemy type towards the end that made me give up before finishing it.

It's still full of impressive set pieces of course, even if some of the early locations in the game are a bit dull - a sewer, for instance. The other issue I had with the set pieces were that they were little more than elaborate QTE sequences, with little opportunity for improvisation or doing anything outside of the predetermined path through them.

I think I could have tolerated all those issues if the combat and set pieces were interspersed with some nice exploratory sections but there were far fewer of these in the third game than either of the previous two, and this more than anything else I think really put me off.
#7 at 14:00:56 - 01/01/2015

home