Author Reply
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I work in an office with just about the most bitchiest backstabing pass-the-buck blame-cultured cunts I've ever come across (and they're all men?!?!?!) and refuse to 'play the game'.

It can be done, can't it? Office 'politik' doesn't have to be, does it?
#1 at 23:36:34 - 07/02/2007
fishmitten
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Distance yourself from them socially, but remain friendly in the workplace. As long as your boss isn't one of these bitchy backstabbers, you'll be fine.

If it's really that bad, start applying to other jobs though.
#2 at 23:38:48 - 07/02/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Politics are necessary sadly. Talk to them more, try and build up a greater sense of "team". If they blame you ask them what you can do better next time, what in the process is allowing it to happen and whether they have suggestions on how that can be improved.

I understand any errors or problems may not be someones fault but by showing that you will take the responsibility for it even then, you will start to get recognised for trying to fix things, not just complaining as they seem to be.

It is hard, frustrating and annoying that it is necessary but some people are just that annoying.
#3 at 23:43:39 - 07/02/2007
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The blame culture is institutional in the place; like the old saying that 'the fish rots from the head'.

On the one hand, they accept I'm not a person who 'blames others for self elevation' and lead my department with integrity. No-one else does though. I've been trying to change the company and show them by example that fixing the problem, not the blame eventually makes the company a better palce, and ends up showing where the failings are anyway. I've made some in-roads and even got some won over (includig one director) but after 9 months, I have to say I'm beginning to lose hope.
#4 at 23:46:46 - 07/02/2007
disusedgenius
Flag
Comments:10
Thread Kills:13(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Well in that case you're clearly just better than they are. Time to start looking for a new job whilst making sure that people understand your superiority.

/may have a slight ego problem that he's projecting
#5 at 23:57:28 - 07/02/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Same position here without the power. I only have leadership ability, skill at my job and the willingness to disagree with anyone.

I've been given the task, where I am, to start to try and change things like the culture (under the flag of "LEAN").

My problems are similar to yours - people more concerend with making excuses or blaming someone rather than fixing things or using initiative for improvements.

The more people you can get on board at any level, the less frustrating it will be - you won't feel as if you are the only one trying to do this and everyone that is onboard will start to reinforce each other.

I have been trying for over a 1.5 years to try and get one department to even consider that there is a better way. No success so far - it will lead to a massive failure on their part, increased costs and huge amounts of rework.

The person in charge of them is, frankly, a cunt. I am the only person ever to walk out of one of their meetings because I demand a certain level of respect that his workers don;t seem to care about.

My strategy is now to get every other department that is similar onboard - not easy but they at least recognise what is trying to be done. If it can be shown how much better these areas become, he will either change or be replaed with someone more amenable.

I have considered walking out and I do pretty much every week at the moment but I need to give it more time - so I can assure m yself there is nothing more I can do or want to do.

You can probably tell I feel strongly about this area of work life.

EDIT: LOOK HOW FUCKING LONG THAT IS! Wow.
#6 at 23:59:51 - 07/02/2007
ThreeOutsideDown
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:5(5%)
Star Rating
in a hierachy the peter priciple says that everyone rises to their own level of incompetence.

they do a job, get promoted, do that job, get promoted and so on until they take a job they can't handle. at this stage, they stop getting promoted.

unfortunately for those below them, once someone has risen to their level of incompetence they usually dig their heels in and defend their 'turf'. because they fear change knowing they can barely manage their job as it is.

it's part and parcel of working in a big organisation, i'm afraid.

pretty much all you can do is play down the impact your proposed changes will have on the people's jobs who are being the most awkward with you.

or alternatively, jump ship to a leaner company where there is less deadwood and more of the staff pull their weight.

easier said than done, natch.
#7 at 02:18:49 - 08/02/2007
deem
Flag
Comments:6
Thread Kills:2(1%)
Star Rating
If you don't agree or get on with the majority at your work place, you work at the wrong place.

#8 at 02:40:25 - 08/02/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Working in engineering, everyone is in utter chaos all the time. Unfortunately, because Design start with the blank piece of paper, we always get blamed for everything.
#9 at 11:09:59 - 08/02/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
Leave before if turns you into a cunt. You might not notice it happening but it will.
#10 at 11:12:10 - 08/02/2007
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's a shame, because just one cock at work can pretty much make you miserable. My rule is if you're unhappy at work then look to move, you spend too much of your life there.

#11 at 11:14:10 - 08/02/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Sucks here too, in fact the political structure of the Uni completely fucks up any hope we'd have of progress, of change and of innovation. Academics sit on all the IT policy panels and decide what IT strategies are put in place. These are academics who still remember punch cards as being "pretty radical" and only know anything about IT from what they read in the sunday colour supplement of The Times.

They are the most self serving fucked up twisted old cuntbags you could possibly hope to work with or for, and have absolutely no idea of what goes on in the real world, having actually never worked in it themselves. Each and every one of them also has about 12 other committees that they sit on to pad out their salaries, yet if IT staff try to do the same in their own time they're run down for it.

It's a shitty situation - so if you ever encounter IT staff from a university and think we have it relatively cushy, just bear in mind the sort of unadulterated tripe we have to deal with on a daily basis from academics who can barely even dress themselves in the morning, yet are "experts" in their chosen fields.

Peej
#12 at 11:16:14 - 08/02/2007
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
deem said:If you don't agree or get on with the majority at your work place, you work at the wrong place.
True.

I don't like to lose though.
#13 at 11:19:09 - 08/02/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:Sucks here too, in fact the political structure of the Uni completely fucks up any hope we'd have of progress, of change and of innovation. Academics sit on all the IT policy panels and decide what IT strategies are put in place. These are academics who still remember punch cards as being "pretty radical" and only know anything about IT from what they read in the sunday colour supplement of The Times.

They are the most self serving fucked up twisted old cuntbags you could possibly hope to work with or for, and have absolutely no idea of what goes on in the real world, having actually never worked in it themselves. Each and every one of them also has about 12 other committees that they sit on to pad out their salaries, yet if IT staff try to do the same in their own time they're run down for it.

It's a shitty situation - so if you ever encounter IT staff from a university and think we have it relatively cushy, just bear in mind the sort of unadulterated tripe we have to deal with on a daily basis from academics who can barely even dress themselves in the morning, yet are "experts" in their chosen fields.

Peej

/am cry
#14 at 11:20:16 - 08/02/2007
spanky
Flag
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
boabg said:Leave before if turns you into a cunt. You might not notice it happening but it will.

/shit
/has transformed into a cunt
Oh hold on, i've been getting called a cunt in many jobs!
/is just a cunt
#15 at 11:23:19 - 08/02/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
spanky said:
boabg said:Leave before if turns you into a cunt. You might not notice it happening but it will.

/shit
/has transformed into a cunt
Oh hold on, i've been getting called a cunt in many jobs!
/is just a cunt

You CUNT! :p
#16 at 11:32:17 - 08/02/2007
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Carlo said:
deem said:If you don't agree or get on with the majority at your work place, you work at the wrong place.
True.

I don't like to lose though.

You're too idle/comfortable to move somewhere else you mean? :)
#17 at 11:53:19 - 08/02/2007
spanky
Flag
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
boabg said:
You CUNT! :p

Innit, but funnily enough yesterday they implied i was a chav...
/quiff and sideburns
/31 yo
/atari hoodie
/ripped jeans and doc martins
/listening to candypants and the SotC soundtrack
Wot? All cause i asked for a mac(due to the new sysadmin completely fucking every computer in the office with his new roaming profiles 'scheme)?
#18 at 12:10:54 - 08/02/2007

home