Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, my PS4 console arrived this morning, a whole week before my birthday. And it looks like I'm setting it up later. I've got Witcher 3 and The Order included, and I'm looking to round things out a little (and as cheaply as possible).

Looking at amazon's second-hand market, I can see me grabbing (in the next ten minutes): Driveclub and Battlefield 4 for £20 together.

Also highly tempted by: Bloodborne, Mortal Kombat X, Shadows of Mordor and Dying Light.

What's the co-op de rigeur (Sil? Flex?) at the moment. And what else should I be looking at?
Killzone seems like a steal for around a tenner, but I'm sensing a lot of disappointment from those who grabbed it early on.

Very excited for Rime, Mad Max (film was amazing!), No Man's Sky and The Division... With the baby here, I'm looking to exercise a bit more "restraint" than with last-gen.
#1 at 14:28:54 - 06/06/2015
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:106(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I feel like mine is gonna collect dust. I haven't played mine yet but I watched someone play Witcher 3 for a while and... ehh didn't grab me. Plus the text is ridiculously tiny.

And next-gen graphics don't impress me. They're basically just as good as the memories I hold of last-gen games (and I realise that if I went back to those games I'd see how badly they've aged, but overall my point is that graphics don't ever exceed my expectations so much as they just kind of maintain a steady holding pattern in my brain of how good I imagine games have always looked).

Oh well I'm home for a while now so will try giving Witcher 3 a bash. :/
#2 at 19:59:07 - 06/06/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, after about three hours I'd have to say my initial impressions are really positive. It seems to have fixed every bugbear I had with the PS3 - I was up and running inside of five minutes, even if I do find the UI a little tricky, at the moment. Downloads are horribly slow, but this seems the norm with Sony machines, at least for me.

Tried about half an hour of Witcher. Yep, can see me getting into it in a big way. Ready for the hand holding to end (but then I am going through the tutorial) but it seems easier to get into that the second game. Liking the combat already.

The Order... Played this for longer. I can see why the Ritalin crowd would hate it; it's more interested in narrative than letting you charge into the shooting (even way more than Max Payne 3). I'm enjoying it so far, even if the intro was a tad pedestrian. It looks phenomenal, too.

Seems great, so far.
#3 at 03:47:31 - 07/06/2015
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:155(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
NewYork said:.

And next-gen graphics don't impress me. They're basically just as good as the memories I hold of last-gen games...

Love that idea, you're so right and articulated it very well.

I've built up a reasonable library since I got the PS4 in Feb but generally it's not been big whizzy titles. Drive Club is great fun, and since it's now more or less release ready, you should have fun :)

Failed to enjoy Shadows of Mordor as much as I thought I would but that's probably as I picked it up right after finishing Tomb Raider.
#4 at 09:14:31 - 08/06/2015
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:464(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Completely on the contrary I've just got back into Shadows of Mordor. Completely fresh start (as I'd swapped hard drives and didn't bother to back up my save for that, as I was doing so fucking appallingly anyway). It's such a great mix of Arkham and Assassins creed type stuff but with a lot of gutsy swords and sworcery stuff. Love the graphics too (some of the Uruks are grotesque!)

I think that's a very good summary of this-gen graphics though. Even spending a bit of time with the 360 recently, it really does feel like this gen isn't that much of a huge leap.
#5 at 10:59:47 - 08/06/2015
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
billdoor said:
NewYork said:.

And next-gen graphics don't impress me. They're basically just as good as the memories I hold of last-gen games...

Love that idea, you're so right and articulated it very well.

Yep, that's a great way of putting it. Even setting that aside, there's only so much detail you can put into a game before it starts getting too busy and maybe even fatiguing for eyes. Or is that just me?

I appreciate there's more to next-gen tech than that - character models, animations, physics etc. - but still.

They really should dial back the visuals a tad and aim for 1080p/60fps anyway. Gave Metro Redux a try yesterday and that actually looked and felt proper next-gen (in console terms, anyway) thanks to the fluidity.
#6 at 11:46:40 - 08/06/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thing is, the things I really genuinely wanted to 'go away' this gen still haven't. Tearing, draw distance and pop in problems, variable frame rates - so we got a visual enhancement for a lot of games (and boy, do publishers ever love selling you something twice - and the second time at a higher price than you could have paid last gen) - with none of the actual performance enhancements. And that's before you even start digging into improvements in AI or other essentials you'd think would improve with a more powerful system at hand.

At best, this gen is last gen .5
#7 at 13:33:30 - 08/06/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:Well, my PS4 console arrived this morning, a whole week before my birthday. And it looks like I'm setting it up later. I've got Witcher 3 and The Order included, and I'm looking to round things out a little (and as cheaply as possible).

Looking at amazon's second-hand market, I can see me grabbing (in the next ten minutes): Driveclub and Battlefield 4 for £20 together.

Also highly tempted by: Bloodborne, Mortal Kombat X, Shadows of Mordor and Dying Light.

What's the co-op de rigeur (Sil? Flex?) at the moment. And what else should I be looking at?
Killzone seems like a steal for around a tenner, but I'm sensing a lot of disappointment from those who grabbed it early on.

Very excited for Rime, Mad Max (film was amazing!), No Man's Sky and The Division... With the baby here, I'm looking to exercise a bit more "restraint" than with last-gen.

Sil and I were playing Destiny the other week as he'd picked that up not long ago. A few months back we played through Far Cry. I think you've played them both, though, right?

We've been planning to do Dying Light - I've finished it, really liked it for the most part, and would be happy to dive in again.

I wasn't a big fan of Killzone, never finished it. Or got remotely close. Same as every other Killzone (there's a lesson in there somewhere....).

Bloodborne is great. Sil can't be persuaded ;-) I haven't played it for a while - I've beat it once but would like to complete the Chalice Dungeons and now they've patched it so you can arrange who you co-op with regardless of level, I'll go back to that at some point.

Definitely curious to see what they do with The Division, though that seems some way off. I'd also pick up Rainbow Six but only if a) it reviews well b) there are others I know getting it.

The Witcher is consuming all my time right now. Brilliant stuff. It's a bit janky at times, but I'm finding the quests completely absorbing.
#8 at 05:49:33 - 09/06/2015
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd definitely go for Far Cry 4 and Dying Light if you a couple of titles that are both superb both in single player and co-op. Destiny is well worth picking up too. Story is utter tripe but the shooting and level design is sublime. Enjoyed this online with Flex and randoms! Sniper Elite 3 would be right up your street too. Four player co-op for the story. I'd love to team up with you and Flex on this. I'm getting Elder Scrolls Online too so that will probably be my main online game for a while. Still dip into GTA Online from time to time. Haven't finished all the heists yet but most of the time I just run a few of my favourite missions.

Shadow of Mordor is fantastic. The parkour of AC combined with the combat of Arkham but does both far better in my opinion. Both Wolfenstein games are excellent. Old school, single player focussed fps action. I'd only go for Killzone if you were a fan of 2 & 3. It is more of the same but looks loads better and has much larger, open levels. Both Infamous games are excellent ( except for the boss battles in Second Sun) and look stunning. First Light was a PS+ game so hopefully you'll have that in your library to try.

Despite all the bad press I really liked AC Unity and the co-op missions were great fun. Shame they dumped the online side of things for Syndicate as I was hoping for the entire campaign to be playable in co-op. The Crew is another game I liked despite the criticism it received. Has a Test Drive Unlimited vibe to it. Full co-op support too but I rarely see anyone on my friends lists playing it!

Flex keeps trying to convince me to get Bloodborne. I have to admit I'm tempted for the co-op side of things but not sure I'd enjoy playing the game on my own.
#9 at 09:33:44 - 09/06/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Cheers, guys. Missing the old co-op we used to get up to so much. I take it a new Chromehounds isn't in the cards then...? :(

I'm trying not to rebuy stuff I've played through on my old machines. Sniper Elite 3 could be the exception, I still love it. Liked Far Cry 4 on 360 but think I'd regret double-dipping.

Dying Light is very possible, as I still enjoy the original Dead Island. Depends a bit on prices.

Today I received Driveclub, Battlefield 4 and Shadow of Mordor. Patches incoming. Birthday on Friday, so I'll be surprised if Mortal Kombat X isn't on its way by Saturday; same for Bloodborne. How does it compare to the Souls games, flex?

The Order continues to impress. Had a couple of excellent gun battles, and it's just an incredible visual thing. Hope it doesn't end too quickly. Grabbed Outlast and Helldivers from PSN, too. And that free to play TPS where you seem to be some kind of "space ninja" according to a couple of reviews. Hey, free is free.

Currently very interested in Evolve. Anyone here play it? Like a bit of quirky gunplay, and this actually has a solo mode too.

As I've lapsed on all things PS, my friends list has shortened a little. For those who used to be on it, and want to relive happy times of me not being able to get on at a decent hour, my ID is still madtheswine. See you server side?
#10 at 18:38:08 - 09/06/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, still doing my best to log a few hours with the new toy - and still really enjoying it. Driveclub really impressed me, last night. Getting to grips with the handling, have patched all the extra gubbins in and... Man the graphics and lighting are something else. Last night, I crashed having been dazzled by the sun - in game. Sat there grinning like a loon at it all. (I may be turning into my father, at last.) Anyone in a club here?

Hoping Mortal Kombat X turns up by the time I'm home for work tomorrow. (Um... today. Happy birthday me.) I still play the last one, and I can't wait to see this one in action. Depending on funds, I'm hoping to grab Dying Light, The Crew, Bloodborne and Evolve over the next few weeks. That should round me out until new releases start to trickle in (can't decide on Batman - the Batmobile battles look shite in the previews). After that, a Metal Gear is a definite buy (as are Mad Max and Until Dawn).

I think the only thing I'm a little cool on, right now, is Shadow of Morder. Just haven't sunk my teeth into it after two early, tentative plays.

Really glad I finally hopped in on this gen. And really happy with my choice of the PS4 over the One right now. Great console.
#11 at 01:58:00 - 12/06/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Glad you are enjoying it!

I tried to join a couple of clubs in DriveClub but got rebuffed / ignored - I guess I was a bit late to it, and too low a level. I dip in every now and then: I'm not a big driving fan, but love the feel, the tracks and...the weather. So please feel free to invite me (or join if I set up my own, I can't even remember).

I've just noticed you asked about Bloodborne. There's a lot of debate about it and the soul's games - I think the short answer is it plays nothing like them in terms of gameplay: options are far more limited, and you are required to be far more aggressive. Some people love this, some (like me) not as much. It's also less expansive than Souls games - still long, but you'll finish it more quickly and will have seen most of the game / gleaned most secrets. New Game + therefore doesn't hold as much allure, but The Chalice Dungeons - procedurally generated levels separate from the main story (located from the in-game hub world though) - are great, and very more-ish....I will finish them (though they are getting tough now).

It's a brilliant game, but it's different. I can easily see why some prefer it. If you hated Souls, you might like it, but there's no guarantee. One similarity is boss fights: these are...dastardly at times and I really think Souls and Bloodborne are a lot more fun if you summon and co-op boss fights.

Like you, Mordor has never fully grabbed me. Even as I unlock more powers, I never feel /fully/ in control as I pirouette and engage in stabby-stabby. It's got some great elements, though.

Let us know how you like Evolve - for me it was always a "maybe, if cheap". And grab Dying Light - I can't remember what number the co-op is but it would be good fun to play it with you and Sil.
#12 at 06:46:50 - 12/06/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Glad to hear you're enjoying PS4 ownership dude!

I did laugh at this bit: "Last night, I crashed having been dazzled by the sun - in game."

That's one of my bugbears with games trying to accurately represent real life. See, in real life if that happens I flap down the sunshade or stick my sunglasses on. There's never an option to do that in games so it's quite painful when it happens (and you get it in other games too, think it happened one or two times in The Crew)

Some good deals to be had on the current PSN sale. Tomb Raider Definitive for a tenner, and Sleeping Dogs too. Bought the former and am considering the latter as I rather enjoyed its blend of fighting and driving.
#13 at 13:30:01 - 12/06/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Flex: I noticed you started a club on Driveclub. It isn't active as you need two people. Sent a join request if you are on it sometime.

And... despite not having a PhD in fucktardery, I've finally managed to get Battlefield 4 online. I'm guessing I'm not the only one that Battlelog didn't want to play nice with or recognise? Same old story, start a game, get killed, but I've forgotten just how much I enjoyed these things. How does the latest CoD compare?

Mortal Kombat X feels very different to the last one, and it's taking a little time to adjust. Looks pretty (and pretty horrific at times).

Evolve, The Crew and Dying Light are en route, thanks to Mr PPI slapping the wrist of the bank. :D

Getting hooked on Warframe. Not a clue what I'm doing, but it's very moreish.
#14 at 22:12:08 - 15/06/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So... The old hard drive fills up pretty fast on this thing, eh? I'm now deleting stuff to make room for other games - considering what a small collection I have, I'm a bit alarmed to discover I might need to upgrade the hard drive already. Anyone done this, and what would you recommend?

Finished The Order, just now, and I have to say I've loved it. Visuals aside (and they are the best I've ever seen) I've really dug into the narrative; it's really brought to life by the voice actors. Man, the word of mouth is just drivel on this. Will delete it, for now, as I've nabbed The Last of Us and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition off the Plus deals, and I'm still waiting for Evolve to arrive.

Started playing Arkham Knight, last night. I was a bit cool on AC, and thought AA was the stunning version, so maybe this wasn't my smartest pick up. Visually impressive, although I've a few issues with it:

It really seems to assume you've played before, as some prompts for tutorials flash on screen for such a brief moment that I missed it. I'm relying on muscle memory as much as anything. The new voice actor isn't up to much. Initially liked the Batmobile stuff, but they really shove it at you too much... What I hated was the first Riddler challenge, which sees you driving through the sewers and hitting switches and jumps. At this point you realise that the BM handles like shit. Put it off at this point, as I wanted to snap the disc. Fuck that thing.
#15 at 01:38:48 - 25/06/2015
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I followed the guide on eurogamer but I bought a usb3 external hdd 2tb from argos. Opened the case and got the drive out. For some reason external hdd's are cheaper to buy than internal ones.
#16 at 10:15:29 - 25/06/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yep definitely a good idea to pick up a cheap external drive and hack it apart. It doesn't make sense to me either, other than some external drives being slightly slower spin rates in some case / less memory buffering but that won't really matter on the PS4 as the original drive wasn't up to much.

Totally agree on Arkham. Got stuck on a Batmobile 'puzzle' really early on in the game which got on my tits.

The game does seem to assume you've played a lot before but some of the AR tutorials are worth doing, to scope out the new moves and stuff - and to get a refresher on the others so you don't just end up button mashing.

It does look bloody lovely at times though, really atmospheric and very smooth too.
#17 at 10:18:16 - 25/06/2015
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I bought a 2TB internal HDD and it was a piece of piss to install. Although I did it before I'd used the PS4. EG have a guide on which drives are better. The one I put it was about £60-£80 IIRC. Neater solution than external IMHO.
#18 at 10:53:47 - 25/06/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Think you're missing the point there. You buy the external drive and then rip its guts out. 2TB of eternal HD seems to be cheaper than buying the equivalent 2TB laptop drive without the case or the trappings. It still goes inside the PS4 (and yep, if there's one thing you've got to praise Sony for, it's not fucking their customers over when they want to up their storage without paying through the nose for some officially supported upgrade).

I don't think it's even possible to install games on an external HDD is it? (I could be wrong, though I've never tried). Certainly wouldn't fancy playing anything over a USB 2 (or 3) connection even if you could.
#19 at 16:04:03 - 25/06/2015
billdoor
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd read RMJ's post and was replying to that, if you want to rip open an external drive, you can do that too :)
#20 at 17:21:27 - 25/06/2015
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:Think you're missing the point there. You buy the external drive and then rip its guts out. 2TB of eternal HD seems to be cheaper than buying the equivalent 2TB laptop drive without the case or the trappings. It still goes inside the PS4 (and yep, if there's one thing you've got to praise Sony for, it's not fucking their customers over when they want to up their storage without paying through the nose for some officially supported upgrade).

I don't think it's even possible to install games on an external HDD is it? (I could be wrong, though I've never tried). Certainly wouldn't fancy playing anything over a USB 2 (or 3) connection even if you could.

Nope not possible to install games on external drive on PS4.

XBone however works superbly with an external drive for games.
#21 at 10:56:16 - 29/06/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think 'eternal hd' is my typo of the week.
#22 at 16:27:40 - 02/07/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, got a 2TB drive installed... and just spent four days re-downloading everything. (Almost there.) Got a spare TB to play with, so grabbed a few downloadable titles (may do this more and more, seeing as disc games need installing anyway - depending on digital prices... £55 for GTA V can fuck off, for example).

So, currently downloading: The Fall; Wolfenstein: the Old Blood (likely to grab the first cheaply, down the line, played it once and adored it); The Vanishing of Ethan Carter; Life is Strange; The Golf Club (because, by all accounts, the new ... uh... "Rory" game is a load of strip-mined shite). Thoughts as they occur to me - and it's very nice to be a teacher this time of year.

Hit up eBay for the first time in ten years and bought dirt-cheap new versions of Alien: Isolation (will get beyond Medical, this time, spurred on by the pretty-pretty) and Sniper Elite 3 (my most played game on 360, this past year - but that machine is on the way out).

Recently been playing:

Watchdogs. Loving it. So much nicer and smoother than last-gen. Love the gun-play in it and that stealth works well.

Shadow of Mordor: restarted and went from zero to hero. Utterly bloody hooked in it.

Mortal Kombat X: vile price point for the DLC, but the game itself is a fantastic fighter. Looks incredible.

Evolve: truly vile price point for DLC (which shouldn't be DLC), the kind of shit that normally deserves to close a studio. The game is pretty good but the grind to unlock anything is a bit much.

Warframe: best free to play game I've ever seen. Sunk almost fifty hours into it. Fantastic variety and missions/locations. A staggering amount of free contact, and everything is accessible given enough play time.

Bloodborne: played for five mins. Looks good.

Batman: not been back to it. Loaded it up, yesterday. Put it off again. May need to restart.

The Last of Us: everything I ever thought or said about this, getting halfway through on PS3, was wrong. It's a fucking masterpiece. Almost at the point I was last time. Utterly absorbed.

Metro Redux: don't like the tweaking of the first game (still my favourite review for this site), and I don't think the second one is as good, but what a great package.

Styx: "a mix between early Thief games and the Tenchu series". Is it fuck. And I can't see a fucking thing when I'm playing it. Possibly only reviewed by people gaming in the black hole of Calcutta.

White Night: just started. Love the mood and art style.

Daylight: shite. I want the game in the trailer, not this shit.

Outlast: not sure it will my patience. Started to get a defenceless Condemned vibe from it last time. All very hokey. For better and for worse.

#23 at 11:42:20 - 29/07/2015
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Styx is pretty horrible, have to say.

Loving playing Journey through again in all its PS4 finery. Now that's one lovely game.
#24 at 17:12:19 - 03/08/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
After the holiday from hell, it's nice to find a couple of new toys on the doormat when you get home...

Sniper Elite 3. Previously played it to death on the 360, but just loving it all over again on the PS4. Looks wonderful, and I've nabbed the season pass whilst it was on offer.

Zombie Army Trilogy. The PC offshoot of the Sniper Elite franchise, now on console... The first hour left me a little cool. The second just drew me in. Fifteen levels across three campaigns. It scales well from solo to four, and it's a meaty challenge. I'm on the third level (and it's taken a while to get here, the levels are just huge). I'm utterly hooked.

The Elder Scrolls online. Still downloading.

Dragon Age: Inquisiton. Tried to make myself in the character creator. Ended up with someone who looks strikingly like Joseph Gordon Lovett. I consider this a failure... Opening fifteen minutes are impressive. Looks way better than I'd been led to believe.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I'm photographing rocks and marvelling at how realistic they look. I have no idea how the rest of the game plays. :)

Battlefield Hardline. Given me twinges of The Wire from a couple of moments, but the SP is molasses slow. Levels feel more like a stealth puzzler than a shooter. Why it unlocks guns and gear only when you don't use them, I don't know. Not tried MP yet.
#25 at 18:11:45 - 09/08/2015

home