Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So, this is looking like being in my top ten games at the end of the year. I'm a massive fan of Sniper Elite, haven't worn out my love for zombies (yet), and I picked this up on a bit of a whim.

It's absolutely brilliant. Third person, WW2, Left for Dead? Might be the closest description. It's a co-op shooter, but it scales perfectly to give a solid, and challenging, solo game too.

It maintains the sniping goodness Rebellion are known for, but it also makes your other weapons really important. The levels are massive - some will take a good hour and more to beat - and there's fifteen of them. I'm midway through the second campaign (around mission 7, or so) and you have free access to any level from the get-go, or you can play the three campaigns in a (not overly necessary) overarching story.

Can't wait to get to the third campaign, as I've read that the quality really ramps up, once again. The first level looks great (proper survival horror - especially solo) but the step up in the second campaign was very noticeable already. (E.g.: Lightning throws a noir-ish filter over everything, cutting the colour palette to black and white.)

There's a solid range of enemies to fight, from snipers to suicide bombers (can you be a suicide bomber if you're already dead?), to summoners, chainsaw zombies, to these huge brutes toting MG42s.

Utterly loving it. I'm playing on PS4, Sil has also grabbed it so... yeah, flex, you know what to do. :)
#1 at 12:23:47 - 19/08/2015
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Just started this and it is great fun. Definitely looking forward to playing it in co-op. Nice to finally get a game that doesn't have a massive patch the first time you load it up!
#2 at 21:28:32 - 19/08/2015
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
How long is the single player?
#3 at 08:15:06 - 20/08/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Fifteen levels across the three campaigns. Just over halfway through, on regular difficulty, and I haven't beaten one in less than an hour yet (which seems par for the course, looking at the explosion of enthusiasm on Neogaf and a few other places). That's without looking at horde mode (which I don't usually dig, anyway).

How long is the game though? Man, how long do you play co-op with your pals? The core of what you're doing doesn't evolve much (although I've read the final third really mixes things up - it's the all-new campaign), but each level feels distinct and there's a steady stream of new enemies to deal with.
#4 at 11:18:53 - 20/08/2015
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I don't play games online with pals. Just on my own.
#5 at 08:19:22 - 21/08/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
/watches willpower ride into the sunset
#6 at 16:50:58 - 23/08/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Okay, got it - for about a fiver (traded in The Crew, which I hated and was done with). So look me up if you see me with it online.
#7 at 17:19:37 - 24/08/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
:D

Had an extended run, tonight, and pushed through to the end of the second campaign. The finales for missions nine and ten were pretty tough. Must have needed about ten goes at nine, before figuring a strategy. Game scales well, even for the solo player.

Started the brand-new third campaign. There's much more of an advance here. I'm rescuing survivors with plucky long-shots, there's what appears to be side missions and a whole host of greater interactivity in the levels.

Quite hoping they put out some dlc for it, actually. Or we see the PC updates migrate to consoles. One of my better surprises of the year.
#8 at 01:47:53 - 25/08/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I knew I'd be getting it but didn't want to pay full price.

It's good - really good, exceeding my expectations so far. I mean, predictably repetitive (I think you'd be stupid to go in thinking varied gameplay) but it's such a sweet loop. To be fair, they've done a good job with pacing it so that it keeps feeling sufficiently fresh e.g. mixing up the levels from corridor shooting to more cramped and hectic encounters, dropping in more challenging enemies at the right time etc. It's also a game that lends itself well to trophy-hunting and they unlock at a pleasingly steady rate.

Anyway, I'm really keen to try this co-op, preferably this week before I go back to work. Out tonight but do give me a shout if you see me on otherwise. Mad, I know you generally prefer to play through a single player campaign before going online, but I'm feeling ready after 2 levels so message away. Sil, you too.
#9 at 11:52:50 - 25/08/2015
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Aye, I'm well up for some co-op... the only thing that can be a problem is if the baby is unsettled. Some nights I'm gaming in ten minute bursts.

We need to put the band back together. :)
#10 at 13:12:38 - 25/08/2015
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
I know what it's like re: young children, so no problem. Sil is always flexible too.

Kids and wife are out the house so going to sneak an hour or so now....
#11 at 14:14:45 - 25/08/2015

home