Author Reply
otto
Flag
Comments:2
Thread Kills:4(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Holy cow - after all this time!!

Signed up for a 15 day account, let's see how it goes. I'm a night elf druid. Am I right in thinking you lot won't be able to see me as I'm on a US server? :( Can you transfer characters between Realms or are you stuck with the Realm in which you started?

Not quite sure how to go about meeting people... :/
#1 at 20:24:05 - 10/02/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Your real life just ended.
#2 at 20:32:49 - 10/02/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Keep an eye on the chat window otto.

There's several channels which you can speak in by typing a command in front of your text.

if you just type something in, you say it to the world in general (white text)
I think if you have someone selected (maybe you need to be in a group) you can whisper to them.
Also as "/w playername hello there" this shows up as purple/pink or something.

The best way to meet people really is to just go to some quest area and ask random people if they want to team up.
Well random people is a bit risky.
But if a passing player of your level helps you as he goes past by casting a bugg on you or taking a shit at one of your targets, you can offer to team up, share quests and with a bit of luck, you find someone decent with whom you spend a few hours questions.

Mind that there's going to be tards as well who try to hog all good drops, and run off again as soon as you've helped them do their bit even though you still have a few mobs to kill ro something to pick up.

There is an ettiquette about playing in groups in instances. Mostly about who "pulls" (tries to peel of one enemy without setting them all off), rolling for chests content and rolling for green or higher value items.

You dont have to worry about them yet.

Just go do you 10 of this and 5 of that. Gather as much quests as you can and try to group them to go cash them back in.
You'll level up and get some cool new abilities.

Shuffle about the icons on your bars at the bottom so you can use them in a logic sequence when you attack. YOu'll need to learn how to best use your skills/mana/etc to kill a mob without losing too much health as you then need to go sit and restore yourself or eat. You'll end up getting additional mobs on you from time to time, so it's handy if you manage to stay healthy enough after one kill to sort ads.

It's been aaaaages since I played, so I don't recall alal the detaisl too well.

have fun.

p.s.: as to meeting places. There's forums on the blizzard site for each realm I think. It may pay to post up something asking for people to show a newb the ropes. A lot of people will be levelling up alts I think so there's bound to be a few seasoned players with some patience.
#3 at 20:36:00 - 10/02/2007
Manuel Garcia
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:10(3%)
AATG Pts:120
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Salaman said:
taking a shit at one of your targets, you can offer to team up

Man this game has changed since I last played.
#4 at 20:45:43 - 10/02/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
lol

Somehow the spell check didn't pick that up.
:-/

Otto ... it's not polite to take a shit on other people's targets, so don't go around doing it in the hopes of making friends.
#5 at 21:34:51 - 10/02/2007
sam_spade
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
Star Rating
Isn't Khanivor a player and heading to the US? Maybe you can bury the hatchet and pick up swords.
#6 at 21:47:49 - 10/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
Khanivor??

/hollow laugh

So anyway, I just did a bunch of quests, up to level 6 now. I can see that pretty soon I'm going to need to team up with someone to get quests done, but fact is... I don't really want to. :(

Can't see the point of social gaming with strangers.

Well, I suppose I'll have to persuade someone I know to join in.

Sam, are you committing typos or blinding me with jargon? What do you mean by 'mob'?

There was one geezer invited me to a group. I couldn't get the hang of chatting (having to hit enter *before* typing) so he just said "UR new?" and pissed off. Meh.
#7 at 22:30:08 - 10/02/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Mob = mobile object, it's an old term from the days of MUDs for anything that moves around, i.e. monsters.
#8 at 22:37:35 - 10/02/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Meh

/Plays Rogue
#9 at 22:39:45 - 10/02/2007
Pike
Flag
Thread Kills:1(2%)
Star Rating
otto said:Holy cow - after all this time!!

Signed up for a 15 day account, let's see how it goes. I'm a night elf druid. Am I right in thinking you lot won't be able to see me as I'm on a US server? :( Can you transfer characters between Realms or are you stuck with the Realm in which you started?

Not quite sure how to go about meeting people... :/

:-o

No wait

8-O

Now that I'm over the initial shock. If you get a US copy of the game you won't be able to play on Europen realms, where most of us are. I don't know if this applies to those trial accounts. If you like the game order a Euro version you'll be able to play on European but not US servers.

There is a low level alliance guild on the European relam Burning Steppes, where I'm neglecting a low level character. I mostly play on Bloodscalp, horde side, with some EGers and some others. Both those are PvP servers though, and I don't know if that is your thing.
#10 at 12:23:54 - 11/02/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
otto - you don't really need to team up with anyone. I made it to level 25 as a Night Elf Hunter (yeah, I know) before I bothered getting sociable. Didn't join a guild until I was about level 40.

/has been wow free for fifteen months.
#11 at 14:36:56 - 11/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
Thanks guys.

I'm already getting a bit bored with it. It's pretty, but running around killing things and collecting stuff to take back to someone... well... initial enthusiasm flagging...
#12 at 15:01:52 - 11/02/2007
GrandTheftApu
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:0(0%)
Star Rating
Although that is a core gameplay mechanic for about 70% of videogames, which would mean you hate ga...

Ah I see.
#13 at 15:07:47 - 11/02/2007
Pike
Flag
Thread Kills:1(2%)
Star Rating
Well, without the social aspect WoW is pretty much a fairly dull single player RPG, IMO. MMOs can't match single player games in regards such things as storytelling an immersion.

If I hadn't found a good guild early on I would certainly have quit after a week or two.
#14 at 15:23:34 - 11/02/2007
Jiroczech
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:5(1%)
Star Rating
Otto, leave it. WOW is shite. It's mindless, repetitive wank of the worst kind and all it takes to be good at it is the investment of large chunks of your time and money.
#15 at 18:50:51 - 11/02/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Comments:25
Thread Kills:6(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Jiroczech said:Otto, leave it. WOW is shite. It's mindless, repetitive wank of the worst kind and all it takes to be good at it is the investment of large chunks of your time and money.

Not everyone's goal is 'to be good at it', there is plenty of gratification to be found in WoW for solo, non-competetive and casual players.

Exploring a huge fantasy world populated by real people is the draw for a lot of people, not wasting countless hours of your life grinding away in order to be competetive in PvP without even stopping to smell the roses.
#16 at 20:25:13 - 11/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
Jiroczech said:Otto, leave it. WOW is shite. It's mindless, repetitive wank of the worst kind and all it takes to be good at it is the investment of large chunks of your time and money.

Hmm... :)

Feeling a bit that way. I haven't had much time to play it today, but I do enjoy exploring new territories, the combat gets a bit boring, even when part of a group, but actually the social side isn't bad. Playing with friends is a bit dull because you're not really chatting, just doing chores. But having some stranger come up and offer to team up is pretty good. Some kind soul saved my skin yesterday, dunno what was going on but I was being slowly murdered by some creature and couldn't control my avatar, some guy came up and killed the monster for me. Nice. :)

Probably won't continue with this after the trial period though.
#17 at 21:56:56 - 11/02/2007
Razz
Flag
Comments:37
Thread Kills:6(4%)
AATG Pts:70
Star Rating
Salaman said:lol

Somehow the spell check didn't pick that up.
:-/

Otto ... it's not polite to take a shit on other people's targets, so don't go around doing it in the hopes of making friends.
LMAO! :D
#18 at 22:55:53 - 11/02/2007
Razz
Flag
Comments:37
Thread Kills:6(4%)
AATG Pts:70
Star Rating
Hahahaha! Sorry I don't mean to spam that spelling mistake almost killed me laughing.
#19 at 22:56:58 - 11/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
Haha, I thought that was a genuine MMO term for attacking another person's target! :D

Works quite well.

I'm on a 'normal' PvE server, why do all these idiots keep challenging me to a duel? o_O
#20 at 23:47:24 - 11/02/2007
terminalterror
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:23(9%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
otto said:Haha, I thought that was a genuine MMO term for attacking another person's target! :D

Works quite well.

I'm on a 'normal' PvE server, why do all these idiots keep challenging me to a duel? o_O

You answered your own question.
#21 at 00:59:22 - 12/02/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:12
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
If you're not into social gaming then why on earth would you want to play an MMO? That's kinda like going to a strip club if you're not into looking at tits.

And even though I will be moving to the US I'm staying on the Euro server I play on. Not only will I be able to farm like a mofo but that's where all me mates are. Trying to find a job which is flexible enough to allow me to take Fridays off early so I can raid with the guild at Euro evening times should be fun, mind :D
#22 at 04:11:57 - 12/02/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Combat is a bit samey this early on Otto.
You keep buying new spells/attacks and stuf as you level up, so soon enough you have a variety of ways to deal death to the mobs.

#23 at 12:45:10 - 12/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
I found myself thinking about it while I dozed in bed this morning! :o

Uh-oh.

Tried a quest on my own last night that's going to be a lot easier if I do it with a mate, so, beginning to see the point!

I don't even get the option to select a Euro server, presumably that's because my copy of the game (trial version) won't let me?
#24 at 14:24:21 - 12/02/2007
El_MUERkO
Flag
Comments:71
Thread Kills:26(4%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Did you download it from www.wow-europe.com?
#25 at 14:46:49 - 12/02/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Your US version will be on a US server. I think you'll have to import a EU version and connect to a EU server.
#26 at 15:14:29 - 12/02/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Whizzo said:Mob = mobile object, it's an old term from the days of MUDs for anything that moves around, i.e. monsters.

Always wondered what that stood for.
#27 at 15:36:06 - 12/02/2007
otto
Flag
Star Rating
El_MUERkO said:Did you download it from www.wow-europe.com?

No, I picked up a trial DVD at a local EB.

I feel the distinct itchings of an early addiction... Very strange. Yes the gameplay is dull and repetitive, albeit compulsive, but totally against my expectations I am finding the interaction with strangers adds something...
#28 at 15:41:45 - 12/02/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I think I had a narrow escape with the trial when I played it. The repetition made me stop before I met anyone to play with.
#29 at 15:49:07 - 12/02/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:12
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Be careful because before too long those strangers become friends and that's when you're fooked. You start playing the game to hang out with friends just as much, if not more, then to experience the gameplay.
#30 at 16:06:25 - 12/02/2007

home