Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Just had a quick go on the demo.

They seem to have got the atmosphere right. Sat in an office on a bright sunny day and it's really creepy. Very reminiscent of Scratches in tone. You are introduced to the interface by a quick search of your cabin on the fishing vessel you've hitched a lift on. It quickly becomes clear how to interact with stuff. Within moments you are opening cupboards, using items, searching chests and throwing pillows and soup cans around. The first puzzles are simple; open a drawer and get your torch. Use the key in your inventory on a padlock, for which you are rewarded extra batteries and a glow-stick.

Not exactly stuff essential for progression but very useful, nethertheless. It seems quite reminiscent of Arx Fatalis in how you proceed. You use what you find in whatever manner you see fit in order to proceed.

The physics implementation is straight forward, logical and immediate; the true strength of this is that progression is also straight forward, logical and immediate. When you search a room for example, you do it as you would in real life. Rifling through drawers, lifting and moving objects. Heck, I even tossed a pillow aside just in case there was a mint under it :D

There are plenty of scares too. The music uses all the tricks that have been used so well before, as in Thief:DS's Cradle level. a variety of noise, multi-rhythmic bass hums and all that lark. There are also some nice incidental touches. When creeping there is a nice tunnel vision effect that indicates how close you are to being noticed, the sounds that accompany this are sure to set pulses racing.

Looks like this is going to be something special.
#1 at 13:46:13 - 14/03/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thread killer!
#2 at 15:46:17 - 14/03/2007
Stevas
Flag
Comments:260
Thread Kills:39(2%)
AATG Pts:195
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Well, I would refer to some of the threads I have created in the past as containing a first post that would qualify as an American Shitload (they do everything bigger over there, even their loads of shit). What we have here is possibly a - oh, do excuse me, wrong thread.
#3 at 15:47:18 - 14/03/2007
UncleLou
Flag
Comments:9
Thread Kills:8(5%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
It's a definite buy for me after I played the trial last night. Very atmospheric, and I loved the physics implementation - moving things with the mouse just worked so great that I wondered why noone has done it like that before.

This is how an adventure game should look and work in the year 2007
#4 at 15:54:41 - 14/03/2007
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think it's time for me to install Arx Fatalis again. I had flashbacks to that when playing this demo, I have fond memories of watching your self-made bread rise.
#5 at 16:39:34 - 14/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Did no-one apart from me play the original demo last year? Played it last year and thought it deserved to be done as a proper release.
Great stuff.
#6 at 11:30:47 - 15/03/2007

home