Author Reply
Roobs
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:7(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I love animals. They're much nicer than humans so I'm all for protecting various species. However, I'm no animals rights activist, which is lucky because this is the more recent example I've heard of them being bonkers - like wanting to poison a polar bear cub. I don't know if it's worse that they want to poison this little bear after the zoo keepers have worked so hard to save him, or that they want to do this to a species that's dying out.

The cub is called Knut, but I think if you rearrange the letters and apply it to these activists, it'd be rather fitting. ;)
#1 at 12:33:35 - 20/03/2007
Truk
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:11(3%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
"not species appropriate, but a gross violation of animal protection laws", according to Frank Albrecht, an activist.

It'll be better off dead!

I vote we make Frank raise it the proper way. He can go into its pen and fight it every day until it's full grown

That'll be fun to watch in a year or two.
#2 at 12:41:11 - 20/03/2007
reality_cheque
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:7(9%)
Star Rating
We have to cross the street when animal rights activists are protesting in the town, after a little 'incident' a couple of years ago that WarKitty doesn't want a repeat of.
#3 at 12:45:56 - 20/03/2007
essential
Flag
Thread Kills:5(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
reality_cheque said:We have to cross the street when animal rights activists are protesting in the town, after a little 'incident' a couple of years ago that WarKitty doesn't want a repeat of.

Oh go on, what little 'incident'?
#4 at 12:47:45 - 20/03/2007
ruttyboy
Flag
Comments:22
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm actually stunned by this.
#5 at 12:52:37 - 20/03/2007
reality_cheque
Flag
Star Rating
essential said:Oh go on, what little 'incident'?

I ended up standing the middle of a street screaming abuse at the protesters because a) they were too stupid to understand the difference between cosmetic research and life-saving medical research and thus were incapable of actually debating any of their own claims (such as "No animal research has ever resulted in a medical breakthrough", which is complete fucking shite), and b) I knew the money they raised went to pseudo-terrorist organisations that firebomb innocent people because of a vague connection to a firm they don't approve of.

b) is bad enough but a) really gets on my fucking tits. I think anyone who protests against medical research on animals should not be allowed the benefit from any advancements made, but the clueless treehuggers couldn't actually understand what I was getting at. Hence me shouting at them in the middle of a packed shopping centre at the top of my voice and using not very pleasant language about the capacity of their brains and their general genetic makeup.
#6 at 13:01:36 - 20/03/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yay! Protect animals by killing them. Sheesh, those guys really come across as sane logical human beings.

Peej
#7 at 13:05:01 - 20/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
Star Rating
/ applauds reality_cheque
I don't mind people who genuinely care about animals and have empathy for people too but these "fundamentalists" are just shameful and seem to be in it for a ruck rather than any real ideals. They remind me of the footie hooligans that turn up to matches for a scrap rather than the match.
#8 at 13:06:55 - 20/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/also applauds R_C

For a different reason though, I shouted down a couple of these wankers because I did not want my niece to have to walk past their disgusting sensationalist posters plastered all over the place. A pleasant saturday out in town ruined because a three year old is exposed to gross and graphic images of animal torture plastered all over the street.

No I'm not condoning animal torture, we know it exists but having it crammed down a kid's throat in broad daylight is not on. Not at all.

Peej
#9 at 13:10:31 - 20/03/2007
silentbob
Flag
Thread Kills:20(5%)
Star Rating
I love the first comment below the OP:

does anyone want a panda ?
we've got two and they breed like no-ones business.
i've had to drown 6 this week already.

..made me chuckle.

Regarding the animal rights nutters. When something becomes so utterly disproportionately skewed in importance in your life you need to take a step back, because at that point you are unable to make rational decisions.

What they all need is a good involving hobby to keep them occupied. Like gaming!

/Sends out copies Hunting Unlimited 2 to nutters
#10 at 13:21:07 - 20/03/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That's.... stupid.

"Not species appropriate"?

FFS.
#11 at 13:28:51 - 20/03/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:Yay! Protect animals by killing them. Sheesh, those guys really come across as sane logical human beings.
That sounds sort of familiar, "It became necessary to destroy the village in order to save it.", perhaps this nutter is a reincarnated Vietnam major?
#12 at 13:45:45 - 20/03/2007
thrawn
Flag
Comments:6
Thread Kills:9(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Although you are right to a degree r_c it has to be said that medical research on animals is not as helpful as is generally made out.

I saw a very good talk once by a European group who were against using animals for medical research, but for scientific reasons rather than moral reasons. They had some very good arguments and figures that showed that it is actually a very inefficient way of testing medical advances. They didn't want it completely abolished, but felt that better results could be achieved in a more time and cost effective way by using computer simulations far more before we get to the animals.

It's a bugger that I can't remember the organisations name now as they also had a very good web site with lots of information.
#13 at 13:59:08 - 20/03/2007
reality_cheque
Flag
Star Rating
thrawn said:Although you are right to a degree r_c it has to be said that medical research on animals is not as helpful as is generally made out.

Oh I entirely agree, animal testing isn't appropriate half as often as it's actually used. That's the main reason I've not join PROtest, the people protesting for animal testing are usually almost as deranged as those they protest against. It's once again the case that neither side is right and the 'correct' viewpoint is somewhere in the middle.

However I do feel that the kid that started PROtest has massive balls considering the fruit-loop like behaviour of the ALF, who wouldn't think twice before sending him a firebomb.

Personally, I think we should test on animal rights protesters rather than the animals.
#14 at 14:14:26 - 20/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
reality_cheque said:
thrawn said:Although you are right to a degree r_c it has to be said that medical research on animals is not as helpful as is generally made out.

Oh I entirely agree, animal testing isn't appropriate half as often as it's actually used. That's the main reason I've not join PROtest, the people protesting for animal testing are usually almost as deranged as those they protest against. It's once again the case that neither side is right and the 'correct' viewpoint is somewhere in the middle.

However I do feel that the kid that started PROtest has massive balls considering the fruit-loop like behaviour of the ALF, who wouldn't think twice before sending him a firebomb.

Personally, I think we should test on animal rights protesters rather than the animals.

You've got that right, quite a few of our students on the medical engineering side are members of PRO-TEST and they're about a step above the Hitler Youth. Only just, mind you.

Peej
#15 at 14:33:07 - 20/03/2007
spanky
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Em lets test on murderers paedos and rapists first please.

Activists of any sort are normally idiots, they're the same sort of people that join the bnp, become suicide bombers and fanatical religionists, test on all fanatics, start with the fox hunters.
#16 at 14:50:56 - 20/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
spanky said:Em lets test on murderers paedos and rapists first please.

Activists of any sort are normally idiots, they're the same sort of people that join the bnp, become suicide bombers and fanatical religionists, test on all fanatics, start with the fox hunters.

Pro Hunt types are a goodly source of something to test products on though I can't vouch for 'em all being human.

Is sharing 29% of human DNA admissable?

Peej
#17 at 14:52:06 - 20/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
Depends on what they're sharing it with, peej.
methinks they "love" animals too much. ;)
#18 at 14:57:07 - 20/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Jellyhead said:Depends on what they're sharing it with, peej.
methinks they "love" animals too much. ;)

I was talking about the pro hunt lobbyists, you know the ones that share the other 71% of their DNA with their uncle's horse...

Peej
#19 at 14:58:19 - 20/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
*All over* their uncle's horse you mean. :)
#20 at 15:00:51 - 20/03/2007
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Knut the polar bear died at the age of 4 today. :(
#21 at 22:05:50 - 21/03/2011

home