Author Reply
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Comments:25
Thread Kills:6(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Right that's it. To quote Ellen Ripley: "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?".

Seriously, did all these people miss that meeting about ten fucking years ago when everyone realised that substituting 'M$' for MS or Microsoft just makes you look like a retard?

#1 at 12:29:54 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think that annoys me less than something I experienced this morning.

Fucking browser terrorism.

That's right, I went to Royal Energy Institute website to grab some contact details and the first thing I saw was a screen merely saying

"Caution: You appear to be using a Microsoft Browser, possibly Internet Explorer. To enjoy this site at its best, please install one of the following free alternatives: Firefox or Opera (with links provided)

If you are not using Internet Explorer your browser may have its identity set to mimic MSIE. Please change this immediately.

If you wish to continue using IE, please visit our alternative website at (link provided)"

What?

Excuse me, what the fuck did you just say?

What's that? You can't code properly so your site only works in Firefox or Opera? Is that what you said to me? Do I look fucking amused? DO I?

Peej
#2 at 12:33:14 - 23/03/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNTSSSSS
#3 at 12:36:13 - 23/03/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
I've needed that for a wee while now.
#4 at 12:36:33 - 23/03/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Comments:25
Thread Kills:6(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That right there is appalling website design and whoever did it should be shot.

Probably some fuckwit who found a script online for detecting the browser and decided it'd make him look clever. And of course, you're not a real nerd unless you use FF or Opera. He's probably really proud of his 1337 programming skills and geek credentials.

*sigh*
#5 at 12:39:48 - 23/03/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's bad web design if it NEEDS to check for different browsers. Simple as.

Anyway.

$ony, eh?
Wanker$
#6 at 12:50:10 - 23/03/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
Nint€ndo.
#7 at 12:51:49 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
What Retroid said.
There's enough sites out there that are IE only which is just shoddy and lazy dev work but i see no need to block IE or make a stand like that. I use FF but i make sure my admittedly basic sites work in IE as well.
#8 at 12:56:46 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Dr.Haggard said:That right there is appalling website design and whoever did it should be shot.

Probably some fuckwit who found a script online for detecting the browser and decided it'd make him look clever. And of course, you're not a real nerd unless you use FF or Opera. He's probably really proud of his 1337 programming skills and geek credentials.

*sigh*

Thing is, and I know Boabg will back me up on this - in the higher education IT support community, these people seem to think that it's the FUNNIEST AND CLEVEREST THING EVARRRR to get a few little digs in about Microsoft wherever and whenever they can.

Fucksake, it's a browser, it's free, it doesn't cost anything. It's not going to hurt Microsoft's massive revenue if you never use IE because ITS IN THE FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY YOU WANKTARDS!

Of course, if you insist on running everything open source on a linux box stinking of gone off dairy products, you could be making a very clear and personal statement about your allegiance but you know what? NO ONE FUCKING CARES PENGUIN-FUCKER!

Peej
#9 at 12:58:32 - 23/03/2007
pauleyc
Flag
Comments:14
Thread Kills:10(7%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
boabg said:Nint€ndo.

Creative.

I see 133t potential here: Mi©ro$of™
#10 at 12:58:52 - 23/03/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
First Direct no longer support Safari on the Mac and they tell you to use Firefox instead. Their excuse was that they never supported Safari, it just happened to work. And now it does't because of their crap code monkeys.
#11 at 13:01:08 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
I'm no MS whore and won't use their products if there's an adequate free alternative around but i'm no Linux zealot. Some colleagues around here ( uni ) are and it gets a bit childish at times.
I'll script for windows or Linux, don't really care tbh.
#12 at 13:01:35 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Jellyhead said:What Retroid said.
There's enough sites out there that are IE only which is just shoddy and lazy dev work but i see no need to block IE or make a stand like that. I use FF but i make sure my admittedly basic sites work in IE as well.

I wouldn't have minded but even on the supposed IE flavour friendly version of their site, it put up a popup nag screen (written in Javascript, ironically) which nagged you to change your mind and go over to FF or Opera every 5 seconds.

There's being a Linux/open source evangelist and there's being a cuntwad. I think this sort of stuff falls into the latter category.

Peej
#13 at 13:01:35 - 23/03/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:
Dr.Haggard said:That right there is appalling website design and whoever did it should be shot.

*sigh*

Thing is, and I know Boabg will back me up on this - in the higher education IT support community, these people seem to think that it's the FUNNIEST AND CLEVEREST THING EVARRRR to get a few little digs in about Microsoft wherever and whenever they can.

Fucksake, it's a browser, it's free, it doesn't cost anything. It's not going to hurt Microsoft's massive revenue if you never use IE because ITS IN THE FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM ALREADY YOU WANKTARDS!

Of course, if you insist on running everything open source on a linux box stinking of gone off dairy products, you could be making a very clear and personal statement about your allegiance but you know what? NO ONE FUCKING CARES PENGUIN-FUCKER!

Peej

Yep, I had a guy ask me once if it was worth upgrading to "Windows X (spit noise) P" I shit you not.

I mean, WTF?
#14 at 13:04:47 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
Yup, totally childish. I'd never do it unless it was for a joke site or a wind-up for a colleague.
... there's plenty of people here who would do it though and plenty that would have an IE popup if you used FF.
* sigh *
#15 at 13:04:51 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
boabg said:
peej said:

*sigh*

Peej

Yep, I had a guy ask me once if it was worth upgrading to "Windows X (spit noise) P" I shit you not.

I mean, WTF?

LOL they do that here too!

I just call them penguin fuckers. It evens the playing field a little.

Peej
#16 at 13:06:31 - 23/03/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:
boabg said:
peej said:

*sigh*

Peej

I mean, WTF?

Peej

Faculties of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics all use Linux here. I've never seen the inside of any of those buildings or any of the people in them, thankfully.
#17 at 13:19:18 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
boabg said:
peej said:
boabg said:
peej said:

*sigh*

Peej

I mean, WTF?

Peej

Faculties of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics all use Linux here. I've never seen the inside of any of those buildings or any of the people in them, thankfully.

You probably don't need to see them, you can probably smell 'em if you open your window.

Seriously - I'm all for a bit of cross platform stuff but why do open-source acolytes have to smell so bad?

Peej
#18 at 13:23:13 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
They're too busy trying to write apps with 20,000 commandline parameters to worry about personal hygiene. ;)
Or is it because you don't get the source code to soap and shampoo so they refuse to use them? ;)
#19 at 13:26:31 - 23/03/2007
Retroid
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
Seriously - I'm all for a bit of cross platform stuff but why do open-source acolytes have to smell so bad?

Mrs Retroid is a Linux fan and she doesn't smell bad ;p

Although she's got a 'new' laptop (someone in our family replacing theirs), rather nice it is too, 3Ghz P4 with Radeon 9500 (or summat) and a widescreen display. Anyway. While she's away from home looking after her sister after an op, she's just using XP on it but has replaced most of the apps with Linux-originated ones ;)

Coming from a history of using a hell of a lot of different UIs and CLIs, I don't really care so long as it works. XP is the first version of Windows I don't hate with a passion, though, mind...
#20 at 15:08:26 - 23/03/2007
Alastair
Flag
Comments:51
Thread Kills:11(3%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:I wouldn't have minded but even on the supposed IE flavour friendly version of their site, it put up a popup nag screen (written in Javascript, ironically) which nagged you to change your mind and go over to FF or Opera every 5 seconds.

There's being a Linux/open source evangelist and there's being a cuntwad. I think this sort of stuff falls into the latter category.

Wasn't there any sort of 'feedback' link so you could have let them know what you thought? Not that they would take any notice of course...
#21 at 15:11:34 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Alastair said:
peej said:I wouldn't have minded but even on the supposed IE flavour friendly version of their site, it put up a popup nag screen (written in Javascript, ironically) which nagged you to change your mind and go over to FF or Opera every 5 seconds.

Wasn't there any sort of 'feedback' link so you could have let them know what you thought? Not that they would take any notice of course...

There wasn't but there was a "contact us" form so I submitted a rather snotty set of guidelines and principles on web design heuristics for 'em to sit and thumb through while they're watching endless repeats of "the IT crowd" and giggling over their cheetos.

Peej
#22 at 15:19:01 - 23/03/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Can you geeks get back to the issue here.

Quality stuff from the MS corner I thought. :-)

#23 at 15:36:30 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Salaman said:Can you geeks get back to the issue here.

LOL!

"The next generation starts when we say it does"

Don't forget, the next generation has now started! YAY! How does it feel everyone? Where's my fucking robot slave, flying car and food in pill form!

Peej
#24 at 15:38:20 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Star Rating
More importantly!
WHERE'S MY JETPACK!

:(
#25 at 15:43:16 - 23/03/2007
ThreeOutsideDown
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:5(5%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Salaman said:Can you geeks get back to the issue here.

this 'us' and 'them' attitude just stokes the fanboy flames.

which is all well and good if you're the marketing shit stain that thought up the campaign and has got paid for doing it.

for the rest of us that play games and read/post on forums it just makes things even more unbearable.
#26 at 15:45:29 - 23/03/2007
Retroid
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
fucking my robot slave

:O
#27 at 15:45:50 - 23/03/2007
Truk
Flag
Comments:11
Star Rating
ThreeOutsideDown said:

this 'us' and 'them' attitude just stokes the fanboy flames.

which is all well and good if you're the marketing shit stain that thought up the campaign and has got paid for doing it.

for the rest of us that play games and read/post on forums it just makes things even more unbearable.

Well said that man.

I have to wonder if that site has anything to do with MS.

/waves at James Clark of 19 Bowlers Green Lane.

#28 at 15:54:56 - 23/03/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Truk said:
Well said that man.

I have to wonder if that site has anything to do with MS.

/waves at James Clark of 19 Bowlers Green Lane.

I'm sure that website has everything to do with MS. If you read the EG article linked to in the first post of this thread, you'll note the website URL was printed on little fold out seats offered to people in line at the Virgin launch event.

All good and well whining about stoking the flames but I love this sort of gentle ribbing stuff between two giants. Just poking the other guy a bit to wind them up.
I like it.

#29 at 16:05:19 - 23/03/2007
Truk
Flag
Comments:11
Star Rating
Ah right. That'd involve me reading EG on a launch day. ;-)
#30 at 16:12:12 - 23/03/2007

home