Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
What the f*ck? Just opened a letter from these people. It notes they have come into "information" that states I purchased a TV from amazon in Nov. 2006 (Xmas pressie for our daughter), but they are very concerned that I don't appear to have a licence for the property - and would I like to do something about it before they get nasty.

The TV licence for this property is in my partner's name, but as it's done by direct debit, we don't have a clue what the reference number is. Just tried ringing them, and I need to tap the relevant numbers into the phone to get to an operative.

My big question: did Amazon report the sale to them? If so, aren't there certain privacy laws that should prevent this? This has really bloody annoyed me.
#1 at 13:34:01 - 23/03/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It was the VANS that got you. The VANS.
#2 at 13:40:30 - 23/03/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
As far as i was aware EVERYONE grasses you up when you buy a TV but buy a TV card for the PC and they're none the wiser. ;)
I have a proper license even though i rarely watch TV nowadays, there's not much on that i care about, adverts annoy me and i don't want to pay for cable as the adverts are even worse there.
Oh well, games it is tonight. :)
#3 at 13:40:44 - 23/03/2007
Roobs
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:7(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Infurating isn't it? We've had that even when buying a DVD player, let alone a TV. I don't understand it, they have a record of your name, when you bought a TV, where you live and yet they're too thick to check to see if there's a licence at your address being paid by someone else.

Sorry, I've no answer to your question, I just wanted to rant!
#4 at 13:42:01 - 23/03/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Lightning fast update: got through on another line and - yes - we're in the clear. However, I've been ordered to buy any future signal receiving equipment in my partner's name, or we'll have this again.

Apparently, any sale of TVs, right down to computer chips that let you watch TV on your computer, are - by law - reported to them.

So, that's Big Brother, watching you, watching Big Brother, watching you... spew.
#5 at 13:42:16 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
RJ - yep it's within Amazon's rights to publish information to the TV Licensing lot - all retail shops do it too in fact I couldn't even buy a freeview box for a friend's birthday until we accepted that it was for us and not for a friend after all. So stupid really.

My friend STILL gets letters like this from time to time despite her actually trying to obtain a legal injunction to stop them sending the letters (she doesn't have a TV but has a video / monitor which she watches films on). They just plain refuse to believe she doesn't want a TV nor watches television.

Peej
#6 at 13:43:55 - 23/03/2007
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
A friend of mine took great pleasure in owning a TV and not paying his license fee. He got a lot of 'those' letters and just ignored them. In fact he used to quite enjoy visits from the TV License people who asked to have a look around his property for a TV, and were perplexed when he said "no". They were under some strange misunderstanding that they had a right to check, which they don't.

Basically, if you don't want to you don't have to have a TV license, just be firm and tell them to get stuffed when they try to get into your property.

But, yeah, if you pop into Dixons to buy a TV then you have to leave your name and address.

#7 at 13:47:16 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Legion said:A friend of mine took great pleasure in owning a TV and not paying his license fee. He got a lot of 'those' letters and just ignored them. In fact he used to quite enjoy visits from the TV License people who asked to have a look around his property for a TV, and were perplexed when he said "no". They were under some strange misunderstanding that they had a right to check, which they don't.

Basically, if you don't want to you don't have to have a TV license, just be firm and tell them to get stuffed when they try to get into your property.

But, yeah, if you pop into Dixons to buy a TV then you have to leave your name and address.

They can actually get a court order to search your property (as they did with my friend) but that takes time, more often than not they will just try to bluff their way in for a nosey. But this is a pretty pointless exercise as they're not exactly going to search your entire house from Loft to Basement are they...!

Peej
#8 at 13:51:23 - 23/03/2007
Harry
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
Star Rating
Our license was just about to run out. I tried to phone the buggers to (1) Renew it (2) Give them our change of address.

As the license was in my late wife's name they wanted (a) Her birth certificate (b) Our wedding certificate (c) Her death certificate. Just for a fecking TV license change of address? I'd phoned them up and tried to pay the 11 we owed but they wouldn't let me.

Pricks.

Anyway. I just went to the website and set up a totally new license for this place paid monthly by Direct Debit in my name. A lot less bloody hassle.

I'm not against the license, I listen to so much BBC Radio I feel it's worth it. But the cocks you have to deal with to sort anything out are infuriating.
#9 at 13:57:46 - 23/03/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Tis true.

We get constant letters and reminders for the bloke who owned our house before us. We have a licence in our names to operate equipment at that property but they still send him reminders telling him that he also needs a licence for the same property.

Que?

When did this happen?

Peej
#10 at 14:00:23 - 23/03/2007
reality_cheque
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:7(9%)
Star Rating
I got one addressed to me at work (as that's where my TV got delivered) so I'm going to not phone them and wait for them to come round.

Then I'll let them look round the place for any TVs. Dunno if there is any, but it's not my building or business so I don't care :D
#11 at 14:45:31 - 23/03/2007
Teeth
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:14(5%)
Star Rating
Just ignore them, they're a bunch of disorganised fools anyway. No need to panic
#12 at 14:47:33 - 23/03/2007

home